What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Mondeo 2.0 tdci 130 - misfire/holding back - gizmojames

i noticed excessive smoke coming from the exhaust mostly betwwen 1750 and 2250 rpm, after a couple of days the car started developing a misfire and holding back whilst also belching clouds of blackish smoke. This worsened over a couple of days to the point that i was struggling to keep the car at a certtain speed without it slowing down and belching a cloud of smoke before accelerating again. i checked the exhaust and found a hole in the center pipe (the one with the flexi section). i replaced this section (with much difficulty and angle grinding) with some success the smoke has now stopped but the misfire and holding back whist vastly improved is still present.

Not really sure what the issue now is. i did notice when i had the exhaust off of the car that it was extremly sooty inside, not sure if this is normal or now effecting the performance?

any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

James

Ford Mondeo 2.0 tdci 130 - misfire/holding back - piston power

Overfueling causes black smoke.

Check air filter is clean and then EGR valve suspect may be sticking open.

You could have the codes read to see if any faults logged.

The EGR valve can be cleaned with a wire brush and lube.

Ford Mondeo 2.0 tdci 130 - misfire/holding back - gizmojames

Ive checked the air filter and gave it a clean but it will need replacing. had a look at the valve but it all looked fairly clean, I did however notice a split in the intake pipe whilst I know this will need replacing Ive tempoarilly attacked it with duct tape and it seems to have made a difference, Ive only run it for 15 miles but the smoke and misfire have both gone. ill run it for longer tomorrow and see how it goes.