What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
ford mondeo r reg 2lt petrol - misfire, under power - elgrippa

I have a r reg 2 lt petrol mondeo. for as long as i can remember it has a had a very slight hesitancy which feels like a misfire when diving too slowly in 4th/5th and is most noticeable at around 30/40 mph, it has not caused me any real problems and i have never bothered to get it looked at. last week i took the car in to a local garage to be checked over as i had a 1500 mile journey to do. they changed the oil, filter and air filter and squirted some stuff in the injectors to clean them. next day drove the car from cold and it was kangarooing, under powered, though idling ok and with the throttle down the problem seem to clear, but i was in a panic!. took it back and they could not replicate the problem but thought it electrical and changed the plugs. i drove it next day for test run and it was back to normal (minor misfire). did my long drive with no problems but today it is back to the kangaroo problem! which is now worse than ever, massively under powered going up hill and jumping badly on flat though still idling ok but now cant throttle through the problem.

ford mondeo r reg 2lt petrol - misfire, under power - likerocks

Coil packs and ignition leads are a known weak spot with this engine as "Zetecs" need a very string spark.

Those in the know suggest changing coil, leads and plugs as a set, using only Ford parts. The going rate for these parts is £100+ from Ford. Other suggestions are Splitfire leads that can be bought on EBay.

Personally I had a good 20,000miles plus out of Bosch leads + plugs and a Unipart coil, but this isn't recommended, I'm told.

ford mondeo r reg 2lt petrol - misfire, under power - ddr

Do you drive with the aircon on?

ford mondeo r reg 2lt petrol - misfire, under power - Bedhead

As said before, coil pack, they eat them. First aftermarket one failed, but the second lasted until I sold the car.. Easy fix!