What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Peugeot 306 1.9 TD 1998 - replacement engine? - professionalbeachbum

Hi

I recently drowned my pug in the ford I have got the engine out and stripped her down to find the conrods are the cause of the problem so looking at rebuilding the engine or putting a replacement unit in

My question is has anyone ever replaced the old 1.9 TD with the newer HDI engine - was thinking about the improved MPG - but still wanted the 3 door shell ( ihate 5 doors)

I can't imagine that it would be a straight swop - with all the electrics and gagetery if anyone could let me know if it is possible that would be great

thanks in anticipation

Sam

Peugeot 306 1.9 TD 1998 - replacement engine? - Robin the Technician

I would imagine that if you've got the engine stripped and identified bent conrods, at this stage it would be easier to just replace them. The crank will be ok and its not uncommon for the rods to bend when water gets in. By the time you've bought and replaced with a secondhand unit etc it would be cheaper to throw in a new set of rods.

Robin the Technician

Peugeot 306 1.9 TD 1998 - replacement engine? - professionalbeachbum
thanks robin - I have a quote for new con rods and gasket set and it came out at £360 + P&P which is why I was thinking about just getting a new lump seemed alittle pricey, is there anyone you can recommend? sorry if I am not allowed to ask that???

Sam
Peugeot 306 1.9 TD 1998 - replacement engine? - Robin the Technician

Hi Sam, - if you go down the road of a seconhand unit you 'may' need things like ECU which 'can' be set to the engine.

I have heard people say that Euro Car Parts are reasonable on parts but I expect someone on here may come up with an alternative source.

You could go down the avenue of asking scrappies if they've got an engine with a knackered top end or broken belt. At least the rods will be ok to transplant. You might get a scrap engine for a song and provided you've willing to strip that too you could save a packet.

Hope this helps

Robin the Technician

Peugeot 306 1.9 TD 1998 - replacement engine? - Bedhead

There's no easy way to put an HDi in, you'd practically need a whole donor car for all the various bits and bobs, if you had room, you could pick up an XUD engined ZX or 306 for peanuts, swap the engines and send the rest to the scrappy and near enough get your money back.