What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
KIA Venga - WOW Kia quality has shot up - daveyK_UK

A family member recently purchased a delivery mileage Kia Venga 2 1.4 diesel.

He told me about a few weeks ago and finally last Saturday I got to see it.

I was amazed with the leap in quality of the interior plastics, this was up there with the market leaders.

I recently had on lease a kia rio on a 09 plate which was reliable and fine for the job, but the staff kept commenting how dated it seemed inside.

The venga was impressive, it was a european car, a quality car, and at £10 grand for a 60 plate diesel with 5k on the clock middle of the range, it was an absolute bargain.

So impressed with this car, I have currently ordered one for the firm on lease (gone for the basic 1 trim in the 1.4 diesel).

And a 7 year warranty on top.

I cant see how Kia can be making that much profit, they must be aiming for expansion of sales over expansion of profits for the time being.

Lets hope they dont make the mistake of Honda, Toyota and Nissan and think they are more important than they are and start selling their cars at a premium.

KIA Venga - WOW Kia quality has shot up - primeradriver

Has to be said that Kia (and Hyundai) have been there or thereabouts for quite a while now (since about 2006 I'd say) but as you say they just haven't been given that final finishing-off that isn't really noticed in most markets, but is something that Europeans are very fussy about.

The problem for them is where to go from here. Mitsubishi and Nissan have learned the hard way that having a good product in Europe isn't enough -- it has to "feel" right, and Europeans will go for a less well-engineered product at the same price if it has better showroom appeal.

So the Eastern makes are caught between a rock and a hard place -- compromise engineering, put the price up, or lose sales due to image. Nissan have done the first, Honda the second, Mitsu the third. Honda seems to be doing the best of the three, so the Koreans are probably going to go the same way.

KIA Venga - WOW Kia quality has shot up - Buster Cambelt

Got to agree, Dad's on his second Rio. The first was so good that he bought another 5 years later - total reliability, a seven year warranty and a good deal persuaded him to change.

Sister has a C'eed and while the interior isn't to my taste it's well screwed together and at a good price.

I think I'd have made a different decision if the Ix35 and new Sportage had been around when I got the Yeti.

Seriously considering adopting Kia or Hyundai as the default choice for the company.

KIA Venga - WOW Kia quality has shot up - carl_a

I recently had on lease a kia rio on a 09 plate which was reliable and fine for the job, but the staff kept commenting how dated it seemed inside.

The venga was impressive, it was a european car, a quality car, and at £10 grand for a 60 plate diesel with 5k on the clock middle of the range, it was an absolute bargain.

The Rio was dated when it arrived both in interior and exterior, it was designed as a world car and therefore had to appeal to low and high cost markets at the same time. It had merits, such as the 1.5 diesel and the spec for the price.

The Cee'd started the big swing to european desired design, if you look at the Venga's interior its almost identical. My dad has a Cee'd and its agreat car, they however still use really cheap plastics in places, not up there yet with Toyota or Honda in certain ways but have surpassed them in others. Toyota and Honda are no longer reasonably priced or ok looking, they were going in the right direction with the old Corolla and Civic but the latest models were a step back, Kia and Hyundai have take their places.

I tried a Venga, nice car, great visibility, but suffers in the same way as the Honda Jazz, that of not allowing the front seat to go down lower or far enough back, therefore making the rear seat space and boot larger than they otherwise would be. The diesel engine wasn't great though, lack of power and does less than the Cee'd which is a larger car.

Edited by carl_a on 09/03/2011 at 00:03

KIA Venga - WOW Kia quality has shot up - primeradriver

There again it must be said though that Ford and Vauxhall also cut massive corners in their interiors.

The lower dashboard on my Focus, the whole grey swathe of wheely-bin plastic that it is, is actually worse than Hyundai was fitting into their Accent ten years ago.

It's essentially the same stuff they put in the vans. Nasty.

Yet they seem to get away with it.

If I hear one more review saying that the Focus interior is class-leading, I'll scream. Miles behind most Japanese cars.

Edited by primeradriver on 09/03/2011 at 01:04

KIA Venga - WOW Kia quality has shot up - captain chaos

Kia quality has gone up but they still have a long way to go.

A quick look at the kia owners forum tells that more attention to detail on the assembly line wouldn't go amiss. They all seem to pull to the left and suffer from abnormal tyre wear. Dealers won't fix under warranty unless you take it back in the first week and even then they'll tell you "you must have hit a pothole/speed bump too quickly/going too fast round roundabouts."

Interesting to note that my local kia dealer also sells fiat which speaks volumes about customer service.

When they paint them at the factory they must leave the bonnet and boot shut. Primer's a nice colour though. "They are all like that sir."

Yes they are indeed.

One kia owner was even told that the fact his car pulled to the left was a safety feature to take you to the side of the road if you became unwell at the wheel.

Unbelievable.

KIA Venga - WOW Kia quality has shot up - colinh
Ah! The warranty knockers have started - cee'd has now been on sale over 4 years, and was the first of the Kias to have a 7 years warranty. So I suppose we can look forward to a surfeit of "the dealer didn't want to know" stories.

P.S. Mine doesn't pull to the left or right, and I've just changed the front tyres at 50,000 km (the old ones would probably have been legal for another 5,000+)
KIA Venga - WOW Kia quality has shot up - diddy1234

I don't think the Rio's have a problem now with the tyre wear.

This seemed to apply to the Rio's without alloy wheels.

I.E. the early 2005 models on the current shape.

On my Rio the tyres were changed at 24k miles whick is not bad considering the standard tyres have as much grip as treacle.

Any replacement tire is a benefit compared to the ones that come as standard.

I am not too sure if the diesel engine has a hand in thsi as well because in the wet there is torque steer if booting it and a tendancy to wheel spin on roundabouts when the turbo comes in (naughty but enjoyable).

KIA Venga - WOW Kia quality has shot up - rogue-trooper

I have 3 cars at the moment. In order of best interitor to worst.

BMW 530d (2000)

Hyundai Santa Fe (2010)

Mitsubishi Grandis (2005)

The Grandis is way off the pace, although I find the seats curiously comfortable. The BMW has too much faux wood but still the plastics are soft, while the Santa Fe is still too hard. Not as hard as the Grandis but still hard.

KIA Venga - WOW Kia quality has shot up - colinh

Giving my cee'd it's Spring clean today, a nice touch I haven't seen elsewhere - liftout rubber trays in the bottom of the cupholders to make cleaning easy (probably available in other makes, but haven't been aware).