What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
05 Ford Mondeo 2.0 TDCI (115) - Rough Idle - Mondeo-Chris

Hi all,

I have an 05 2.0 TDCI (115) which is currently suffering from a rough idle. I've done a search on Google and various forums, but I can't seem to find anyone who is suffering the same symptoms as me, which I have detailed below.

On a very cold morning (freezing or below), the idle seems perfect. If I have a congestion free drive, all remains OK, but if I'm stationary or in traffic, it starts to drop to just over 500 rpm and get a lumpy. If the temperature is anything above freezing, the idle will drop and get lumpy within about 5 - 10 minutes, whether I get stuck in traffic or not.

I also noticed on one slightly warmer day, that after a couple of minutes of starting the car from cold, it seemed to develop a small missfire, which only lasted a few minutes and then went away. It only happened at idle and didn't stall the car or affect the performance. Could this be related?

Apart from the idle problem itself, nothing else appears to be wrong. Fuel economy is still good and there's nothing wrong with the performance, as far as I can tell. I did notice one thing when I had it up in the air recently. The front-most exhaust heat shield is missing. Are there any sensors around that area that could be causing the problem and are perhaps overheating?

The only other thing worth mentioning is that the ECU had a software update late 2009.

Any ideas or help would be much appreciated :-)

Cheers

Chris