What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Champion Oil Filters - stevie nicks
Does anybody out there know whether the Champion Oil Filter C148, for a ford mondeo has a non return valve, sales assistant in motor shop has no idea......this question is a follow up to my recent question about the noisy tappets on my 1.6 zetec engine.
Champion Oil Filters - lezebre
Can't answer that, sorry, but you're right on the money with Champion (which you probably knew, Jackanory!) good filters.

You should be able to tell if you look through the ring of six holes, you should see a plastic membrane directly behind, possibly red in colur, this is the 'nrv'.

If you are really sceptical, you can find a large bolt which screws into the filter after
half filling it with oil,
hold it upside down,
no oil on your slippers = (functioning) non-return valve.

hth
(Rhiannon)
cant seem to see a membrane but i can see some sort of coil or spring at the bottom inside, dont know if this is it or not
Champion Oil Filters - keithb
Why not just buy the genuine Ford filter for about £6? Reference No. EFL600
because Keith i have already bought the filter assuming it did have the valve.....cant take it back because i have ruined the box and god knows where the reciept is......i know its only 5-6 pound but its better in my pocket
Champion Oil Filters - Godfrey H {P}
Six pounds in your pocket or a wrecked engine?
Champion Oil Filters - lezebre
Sorry, stevie, I've told you everything I know. Let's hope someone here has access to a filter catalogue.

LeZebre
Champion Oil Filters - Dizzy {P}
Stevie,

LeZebre is correct (although I think the membrane is likely to be black rather than red).

The spring you can see sounds like the dump valve that lets the oil bypass the filter element if there is an oil flow greater than the filter can manage, like when starting an engine and revving it when the oil is cold and thick.

Are you sure you looked through the ring of six holes spaced around the centre port? I think the spring you mentioned can only be seen through the centre hole, though I may be wrong.

As LeZebre said, the membrane is directly below the six holes, and it covers them so that oil cannot run out when the filter is upended. When the filter is fitted to the engine, the engine oil pressure presses the membrane down to allow oil to enter the filter through those six holes. The oil then flows through the filter element from the outside to the centre and then up the centre tube and back into the engine.

To complete this tour -- If the dump valve is forced open, the oil simply goes down to the bottom of the filter, past the end of the element (via the open dump valve) and then up the centre tube back to the engine.

One last thought -- although (so far as I am aware) most oil filters have this membrane, if your filter hangs vertically down when fitted to the engine it probably doesn't need a membrane. If it doesn't hang down, then the oil will slowly drain out when the engine isn't running and there will be a bit of a delay for oil pressure to build up when starting the engine.

Champion Oil Filters - rg
Dizzy,

So,if,in the case of my Monterey

- The filter has a non-return valve

- It is mounted at around 30 degrees from horizontal

I will still see a delay befoire the oil pressure gauge needle goes off the stop up to, for example, 40 psi (cold)? Normal with a fully synthetic?

rg
Sorry Rob, I don't fully understand the question. Like some oil pumps I'm often a bit slow on the uptake!

If your filter has a non-return valve (i.e. a membrane covering the inlet holes), the angle of dangle shouldn't make any difference to the time needed to build up pressure so long as the NRV is doing its job.

However I imagine that there could be a small leakage past the NRV over time, especially with fully synthetic oil due to its lower viscosity when cold, so there could be a small delay in pressure build-up after the engine has been standing a while.

In fact, a filter at 30 degrees might leak more than one that is vertically upright because the NRV won't have the full weight of the oil in the filter pressing on it.

My apologies if that isn't what you were asking about.
Champion Oil Filters - rg
Dizzy,

I don't think I understand my own question anymore...

I am just trying to diagnose the delay in my oil light/pressure gauge showing oil pressure after start-up.

The Isuzu engine is fine. At cold it reads 55psi, dropping to 30-ish when hot. I am running fully synth with a filter which claims to have a NRV. I suspect that it's just an issue of the oil viscosity, length of oilway "run" from pump to senders, etc. The filter lies open-end uppermost at 30deg, so should retain a fair bit of oil. Anyroadup, surely the synthetic film properties are going to give me some protection in the two seconds before I get decent pressure?

(Maybe we should all take a week's break in a "developing" country, and ride in some of the machines out there. It adds a new perspective on tolerable noises, fault indications, etc!)

rg

I don't think I understand my own question anymore...>>

And I had to read my answer twice before I knew what I was on about!!

I agree about length of oilways affecting pressure build-up. Take the Vauxhall slant-four engine of the 1970s. This had a very high oil pump and was notorious for rattling when starting from cold due to oil drainback into the sump. Some of the Triumphs suffered oil drainback as well due to having a horizontal filter without any anti-drainback valve -- my T2500 would rattle for about two seconds on start-up.

These Vauxhall and Triumph engines, and others that also rattled on start-up, never seemed to come to harm though, even using plain old mineral oil. However, at about 180,000 miles I converted my T2500 to spin-on filter to overcome the irritating rattle. I selected a filter having a non-return valve although the filter angle of about 15 degrees from vertically down probably makes this superfluous.