What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Mondeo Mk3 2.0 Duratec - Cylinder 1 misfire - Leigh.Mondeo

HI All!

I bought a 2001 2.0 Duratec Mondeo mk3 3 months ago and have had problems already!

It began by using oil, about a litre every 2 weeks but was not giving any blue smoke, I could only see some exhaust when I put my foot down on the motorway.

Then 3 weeks ago the engine management light came on and it developed a misfire, together with giving out alot of blue smoke when revving.

I immediately changed the HT Leads, Sparks and Coil Pack to try and solve the misfire but to no avail.

I decided to take the engine head off to see what the problem was. On removing the head there was a hole about the size of a pea in one of the exhaust valves on cylinder one. I replaced this, rebuilt the head, replacing all gaskets and taking my time to make sure it was all put back correctly.

On starting the car it seems to still have a misfire on this cylinder as I can hear it missing and when I take the spark plug out of cylinder one I can see moisture, I think this is fuel, from the misfire, but cannot be 100%.

I am completely out of ideas, can anyone help?

Edited by Leigh.Mondeo on 25/11/2010 at 19:21