What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Peugeot 306 - No pulling power in lower gears and eating petrol - Smallville

hi guys , i recently purchased a 1.4 peugeot 306 maridian as i wanted to downsize from my 2.0 ford focus gear for cheaper tax n insurance , the problem is when i first start the car up it will cut out within seconds as the excelerator dosn't seem to work when pressing down , then i will restart engine and everthing seems to work , my lower gears don't seem to have any pulling power to go up hills , 2nd and 3rd gear for hills feels like i'm using 4th n 5th , first thought it was because i was use to driving 2.0 ford focus with great pulling power , but my friend has got a 1.2 peugeot and i had a drive of hers comparing both cars and her car seems to be better with gears and it's pretty nifty driving so can anyone tell me why my car feels like i'm sat on a snail , petrol wise the car seems to be eating that too

please help if you can , i'm sick of garages takin the mick as i think you can guess i'm female !

Thankyou

carol

Edited by BorisTheSpider on 25/11/2010 at 14:41

Peugeot 306 - No pulling power in lower gears and eating petrol - Dutchie

Carol

Have you got a mechanical minded male friend who can have a look at your car.Or take the car in for a service to a good independent garage.?

Was the car a private sale sold as seen or from a garage if from a garage go back and let them sort it out.

Peugeot 306 - No pulling power in lower gears and eating petrol - track

Does the car idle correctly? The idle control valves are a very common fault on the TU engines and will cause the above issues. Also worth getting someone that knows there peugeot's to have a nosey about it. Good chance its had injectors replaced as they seem to fail a fair bit as well. Could be the wrong ones in there.

Peugeot 306 - No pulling power in lower gears and eating petrol - Smallville

hi , yes it was a mechanic that sold / part exchanged (my 2.0 FOCUS GHIA) the car lol , he is my best friends partner , but i don't like to be a pain as he works all day and the last thing i want is for him to come home and to have to start messing with my car , the lad works plenty hours , so i would rather take to garage and let him have his leisure time to himself , but i know he would go nuts if i do that , and most garages i have taken my car to have gave me list of jobs on previous car that never needed doing for mots , even reputable garage like quick fit failed my previous focus on things that never needed doing and i had independant mot done after my friend partner looked at jobs on failure sheet and disagreed , they had to refund all cost but somehow quick fit escaped the blame as they blamed it on the mechanic who did the mot saying he was a newly tester . hence why i hate garages taking the micky outta me

my friends partner is a ford technician and mot tester he says the car needs to be taken to peagout for a reading of the fault on a special machine to diagnose faults and give codes, he is going to take sometime over weekend but unfortunatly i can't spare my car longer for him to keep it til problem finally solved as i rely on my car for my job as no public transport takes me near my work and the ford garage he works in is 30 miles away from here so he needs car to take to his work but it's hard me sparing my car all day , he has done lots to the car before handing it over .

i just thought i'd try to get some input for him on this forum as i don't want him to spend too much time helping me , he is thinking it may be the catalyst and says they cost bout 400 , he says he will pay all cost fixing car up , but i have told him i will go halves as i don't mind spending money on a car that i intend to keep .

i just wish i could help more and not be a pain , the car drives well after it has been restarted after the cutout first turnover and the petrol usage is about the same as my old focus 2.0 which he says is bad for a 1.4 but after filling up a 2.0 focus for 3 years i ain't that bothered as it not costing me any more to run car but he is bothered ! , he has taken car on motorway for spin and says when reaching 75mph the car seems to lose power and slows to the 60 - 65 mph mark , could all this be linked the gears and petrol usage ?

thankyou

carol