Nissan Micra S 54 - Short brake pedal travel - YKB

Have recently bought a Micra S 1.2 manual, 46000 on clock. The problem I have is that the brake pedal seems to have a very short travel which means I have to slow down well in advance of junctions etc to save being propelled forward if I touch pedal too firmly. Am experienced driver and never had this problem before. Small company I bought from (one man band) says his mechanic is on holiday for a week and anyway he feels he would have adjusted brake if possible while doing maintenance on it, but suggest I ring him on his return, which I will do. Meanwhile as I have a lot of driving to do I wonder if anyone has any suggestions to improve this bearing in mind my husband and I are not particularly mechanically minded, or is this something I will have to live with? Must say I am not enjoying driving at the moment, and mistakenly thought this was something that would loosen with time! Thanks.

Nissan Micra S 54 - Short brake pedal travel - injection doc

its would be very unusual to have an over active servo unit and normally if they fail they iether cause the brakes to be on all the time or lack any assistance.

Brakes have to be taken seriously and cannot be judged without someone actually driving the car. If you really don't feel confident then you shouldn't drive it untill it has been inspected and deemed safe. If you are involved in an accident and it slips out that you were unsure of the brakes you could be liable for driving a vehicle knowing it had a possible defect.

Don't wait a week get another opinion even if you pop along to a nissan dealer and just ask if they could run it round the block.

My suspicion is that its just different to your last car and the pedal is a lot more sensative and you will need to adjust accordingly.

Nissan Micra S 54 - Short brake pedal travel - Cymrogwyllt

brake feel varies from car to car and when changing cars have felt the range between 'Is this going to stop?' to '******** that's sharp'. Same with PCV Some needed literally standing on the pedal, other makes a very light touch is enough. I suspect it's more a case of getting used to the vehicle than a fault

Thanks for your reply - car now going to have a"health check" at Nissan garage, so hopefully things will get sorted.

Nissan Micra S 54 - Short brake pedal travel - injection doc
many thanks for update , don't forget to let us know what they say.
i hope its all normal and is just taking getting used too.

Well, car has had "health check" and all is well with the brakes though they did apparently clean up behind them (I think that's what they said!). Does seem to have made a bit of a difference, and yes, it may be that I am now getting used to it too. Thanks for your comments. Am having to have something replaced on the steering wheel tracking, which will be done next week,but otherwise car is fine.