What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Citroen Xsara - Wheel wobble under braking - helmet

The wifes got an 02 plate Xsara HDi, and since we bought it about 3 months ago, there has been the most annoying wheel wobble under braking. Some times it was so violent, you would have thought the wheels were going to drop off.

Since buying it, the following have been changed:

Front discs and pads

N/S front spring

New front tyres

Now the wobble seems to be at a specific speed, 30-40mph, but is not apparent under acceleration or cruising. I swapped tyres front to back on both sides today, and it doesn't seem to be as bad, but nevertheless is still there.

Has anyone else had this peculiar French problem?

Citroen Xsara - Wheel wobble under braking - Peter.N.

In view of the work already done I would certainly suspect wheel balance, the fact that it only happens when braking would seem to indicate a defective tyre which is going out of round under stress, probably due to ply seperation.

Citroen Xsara - Wheel wobble under braking - Collos25

I would hazzard a guess at worn ball joints or other worn steering or suspension parts,you would feel a oval tyre at all speeds although its a possibility the other common fault with the steering is a badly worn steering rack which would give the systems you describe probably why the last owner sold it.

Citroen Xsara - Wheel wobble under braking - Collos25

I would hazzard a guess at worn ball joints or other worn steering or suspension parts,you would feel a oval tyre at all speeds although its a possibility the other common fault with the steering is a badly worn steering rack which would give the systems you describe probably why the last owner sold it.