What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Fiesta Saloon - fiesta elec fault - tonyboy

Hi, i was trying to get the part number of the alternator on my car,and had to take the live feed of because the number was under it,and i touched the spanner to the body work,i got a big spark and now the car wont start? it will start with a small push and drives fine,also all the dash lights work fine? i have checked the fuses inside the car and all was fine there.Any ideas please? Ford fiesta 1.4 petrol, 54, 5door 5speed

Edited by tonyboy on 26/07/2010 at 19:45

Ford Fiesta Saloon - fiesta elec fault - Peter.N.

Check and clean your battery terminals, if still a problem check the earthlead from the battery to the engine.

Hi, thanks for your advice,i will check that tomorrow, Could it be a fuse under the bonnet do you think? the central locking isnt working now? When it first happend all the lights in the dash went silly and i got a Enc fault came up,i think it was E-something error? but it has gone now and all the dash seems to be ok now? i did disconnect the battery for 5 mins and reconnect it again.

Edited by tonyboy on 26/07/2010 at 21:34

Ford Fiesta Saloon - fiesta elec fault - elekie&a/c doctor

I think you will find some fuses in the engine bay.Adjacent to the battery is a small black plastic box.Remove the lid and check for any blown fuses.They may be the larger mega or"Pal" type with a see-though cover.hth

Thanks for that info,i will also try that tomorrow, fingers crossed for me?

Hi All, checked every fuse on the car,and all where ok??? this is doing my head in! checked the earth straps and leads to the starter and alternator, do you think it could be the starter motor? when i turn the key i get a click under the bonnet and then nothing?

Ford Fiesta Saloon - fiesta elec fault - Collos25

If you can hear a click then the starter solonoid is engaging it looks like you have blown the starter motor windings you need to check if there is a supply to the starter motor when you turn the key if there is then a new starter motor is required if not it could be a solonoid fault but that is probably part of the starter motor.I assuming you have checked ALL the fuses.

Checked all fuses, i got the new alternator on and still dont start with the key,but hook up a set of jump leads and it starts no problems?

Ford Fiesta Saloon - fiesta elec fault - Collos25

Well if it starts on jump leads then the battery is at fault could be flat you needed a new altenator for some reason .You give information in drips.

Cheers for your advice, the reason for a new altenator was a winding noise,and the AA told me the bearing was gone in it, but the noise is still there with the new one on so,i just dont know?

Edited by tonyboy on 28/07/2010 at 17:40