What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
BCA: Moving cars with forklifts ! ? - Steve G
Had a real eye opener at Blackbushe today.
In one of the holding compounds the staff were using a forklift to move cars around. You could be forgiven for thinking these cars might have been old bangers or non runners but no ! these were top notch lease/prestige cars.
I've seen salvage yards/auctions using forklifts (totally understandable) but why use this method for driveable cars ?
It must damage exhausts and other pipe work underneath the car.On one car in particular the side skirting was flexing so much it must have been close to snapping (it may explain why i often see 156's with cracked sideskirts at auctions....?).
Maybe i'm over reacting but it seems a daft way to move perfectly driveable cars.
I will be taking a closer look underneath future potential purchases at auctions.
BCA: Moving cars with forklifts ! ? - The Watcher
Wonder if they lifted the M3 like that? Must say, I wouldn't be at all happy to see my car up for auction being moved around like that!

I know some garages lift cars on a ramp which fits under the 4 jacking points but wouldn't have thought a bóg standard fork lift would be able to hit those points on any car.
BCA: Moving cars with forklifts ! ? - Paul Mykatz-Tinks
What a bunch of boneheads! Once watched one driving a Reliant Robin across the car park. He managed to make it fall over!

I can't believe this.........were you drinking funnywater at the Blackbushe bar, Steve?
>>were you drinking funnywater at the Blackbushe bar, Steve?
Definately no ! ;-)
I could not believe my eyes at first. I've been going to Blackbushe on and off for nearly ten years now and never seen this before.
Watcher, my initial thoughts were ' it must be a adapted forklift',but it was a standard forklift.

Maybe just his way of saying "bye, bye" after getting sacked.........
BCA: Moving cars with forklifts ! ? - SjB {P}
Back in the early nineties, at a former employer of mine, an employee moved another employee's obstructively parked Honda Civic out of the way with the company forklift.

The result was a damaged floorpan and bodyshell that was deemed by the insurer (and hardly surprisingly the owner) beyond repair.

/Steve
BCA: Moving cars with forklifts ! ? - Pugugly {P}
mmmm
Makes me think - One of the girls in the Office has just spent her hard earned on a pre reg MX5 from a dealer. When her beloved was cleaning it (SWMBO personified !) he found that the "lumpy paint" beneath a sill had split revealing primer. Needless to say it was taken to the local dealer and whilst it was on the ramp he noticed that there a further three "blemishes" at opposite sides of the sills as she remarked "Exactly as if some on had lifted it with a Fork Lift". The car was fixed by the dealer FOC - but it does make me wonder.
BCA: Moving cars with forklifts ! ? - SteveH42
Two thoughts here, first is that they may have a modified forklift, or have some sort of carrying cradle that supports the jacking points on a car.

The other is that they were told to 'move that car with the forklift' and assumed that meant to lift it rather than tow it...
BCA: Moving cars with forklifts ! ? - Mark (RLBS)
Steve,

You have definitely got to cure your trigger happy finger. When you click post, it updates the thread almost immediately. It takes a while to refresh your screen which can lead you to think that the posting hasn't "taken", but it usually has.

If you have a doubt, spawn another window (ctrl-n) and check before clicking post again on your original window.
BCA: Moving cars with forklifts ! ? - blank
Mark:
Thanks for the cntrl+n tip, I didn't know that and it'll come in really useful.
Andy
BCA: Moving cars with forklifts ! ? - SteveH42
You have definitely got to cure your trigger happy finger.

Not me, guv! I click the thing once and then usually go to another browser tab while I wait for it to process the post. I suspect either something funny at NTL, or something in the website doesn't get on well with Mozilla. Sometimes it takes >2 minutes to load the updated thread, so I suspect there is a problem somewhere down the line.
BCA: Moving cars with forklifts ! ? - PB
Steve, thinking about it, did you see them actually hoik cars around? Their little mobile battery booster truck looks a bit like one from a distance. It seems such a bad idea I am wondering if there could be another explanation.
PB.
BCA: Moving cars with forklifts ! ? - Mental Mike
Of course, before fork lift trucks were invented, forks were much bigger than the ones you or I would use nowadays.
Yes i saw them move cars with the forklift (i know what you mean about they Battery trucks looking like forklifts). Could not believe what i was seeing. The forks were very long so the weight was distrubuted across the shell.
It must of taken the driver about a minute to line up the forks so the car would not tilt forwards ,he then slowly drove across the compound and placed the cars carefully back down. The time it took to do this he probably could have driven TWO cars to the same spots.
Steve, I think you need to write to BCA (tell them they're rumbled) and/or the motoring press. This has got to stop. Brake/fuel lines could be damaged.