What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
FIAT Doblo - FIAT Doblo 1.9 in JTD & MJ forms – consumption - jemrb

<!-- /* Font Definitions */ @font-face {font-family:"Comic Sans MS"; panose-1:3 15 7 2 3 3 2 2 2 4; mso-font-cha***t:0; mso-generic-font-family:script; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:647 0 0 0 159 0;} /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0cm; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-language:EN-US;} @page Section1 {size:612.0pt 792.0pt; margin:72.0pt 90.0pt 72.0pt 90.0pt; mso-header-margin:36.0pt; mso-footer-margin:36.0pt; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} -->

Previously I had a 1.9 JTD 100bhp, 03 reg, from 140K to 170K; recently sold. I loved it but the local garage warned of expensive repairs imminent. Averaged 47 mpg, low 40’s round town in the winter, low 50’s motorway in the summer.

Replaced with 1.9 MJ 105bhp, 56 reg, 3 months ago, with about 27K on the clock - now + 3K.

The vehicle is very perky and responsive. It was serviced by my local, trusted, independent garage a few days after I bought it.

Problem is that the MJ doesn’t get above low 40’s even on motorway runs (i.e. Northants to Devon).

As far as I can see, the published mpg on MJ is no worse than JTD (48.7 mpg combined). But 70mph which was 2500rpm in JTD, is now 2850rpm in MJ. So if that is repeated across the board surely the engine must consume more fuel at higher revs so how does that relate to same/lower mpg ?

I thought that maybe the engine needed ‘loosening up’ (I’m an old style motorist who can recall cars having to be ‘run-in’), as the MJ had only covered 27K over 3 years, and being based outside Inverness was unlikely to have had many high-speed runs ! So now the MJ has covered at least 1500 miles at 70’ish, and is also revved to 3500 regularly when changing up. Miller’s Diesel Power Plus has been added at 50% extra dosage to each tankful after the first two (once I realised that the mpg was low). About 5% more mpg is obtained when using BP Ultimate. The tyres are Pirelli P4 (rear) & Firestone Firehawk (front) at correct pressures.

With the increasing price of fuel I estimate that the current additional consumption, on my average of 14K/year, is costing me about £300 p.a.

What else can I do to improve the mpg on the MJ; or am I expecting too much (too soon) ?

FIAT Doblo - FIAT Doblo 1.9 in JTD & MJ forms – consumption - Peter.N.

One of the main reasons for diesel economy is the high low speed torque allowing long gearing, if you alter that you are driving more of the time past the engines most efficient speed, so I suspect that the gearing has a lot to do with it. Once you have past the point of maximum torque the efficiency steadily drops off.

I can get 50+ mpg from my Citroen XM estate which weighs about a ton and a half by keeping the revs below 2,000, the Peugeot 2.1 engine it uses will pull down to tickover speed.