What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Volkswagen Golf VI - Aircon air vent temperature. - oldgit

Has anyone got any figures for what the temperature should be just inside the centre air vents with the aircon on and on max. chill. I measured mine with the car stationary, with the engine revs at about 1500-1800 rpm and with the fan speed on, say, 2 and a digital thermometer with the probe about an inch or so inside the vent.
The minimum temperature reached was ~ 4c with the outside temp. 22c but of course the accuracy of the thermometer is only +/- 1c.
I sometimes imagine that the system was much colder late last summer (took delivery in late July 2009) but I have only got the Climatic aircon system not the one where you can set you temp. for each side of the cabin.
Obviously in the UK we don't suffer extremes of temp. not usually anyway but can get temps in the middle 30s sometimes (mercifully not for long).

Volkswagen Golf VI - Aircon air vent temperature. - elekie&a/c doctor

Not sure how accurate your thermometer is ,but -4c seems very cold to me.You have to remember the a/c system on these (and a lot of modern cars)is load dependent .So with an ambient of only 22c the system is probably not working at full capacity.I think I would start to worry if the outside temp ever gets to 30c.hth

Volkswagen Golf VI - Aircon air vent temperature. - percy

I think the OP means approx. + 4C when he used the ~ key, not minus 4C. HTH

Volkswagen Golf VI - Aircon air vent temperature. - elekie&a/c doctor

I feel much more comfortable now!!

I feel much more comfortable now!!

Phew. Thank goodness for that. With small fonts and typeface on this site, my ~ was mistaken as being - sign

Volkswagen Golf VI - Aircon air vent temperature. - Avant

I have to confess I read it as minus too - a classic example of the eye seeing what it thinks is there, not necessarily what actually is. Sorry - now I look at it it's perfectkly clear: ~

Even that (about 40 proper degrees) seems uncomfortably cold - you wouldn't want that as ambient temperatuire even on a hot day. I've had several VAG cars and even the 'low' setting, which has the fan full on, is never less than comfortable.

I have to confess I read it as minus too - a classic example of the eye seeing what it thinks is there, not necessarily what actually is. Sorry - now I look at it it's perfectkly clear: ~

Even that (about 40 proper degrees) seems uncomfortably cold - you wouldn't want that as ambient temperatuire even on a hot day. I've had several VAG cars and even the 'low' setting, which has the fan full on, is never less than comfortable.

Well don't forget that is the temperature inside the air vent and that the cold air has got to blend with high/humid cabin temps. Anyway, I have made a faux pas, unforgiveable I suppose in someone with a scientific background of over 50 yrs. I forgot to calibrate my instruments!!!

Today I took my digital thermometer's probe and plunged the first 2 inches or so into crushed melting ice and to my surprise found that the stable state temperature read 2.3c and so the error here is much higher than I thought. I also remembered that I had one or two Mercury in glass 0-100c thermometers and put those alongside the probe and they read, near as damn it 0c. It was seem that my aircon vent temp. is lower than I first thought.