What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Focus 1..6 Zetec - noise under load/motorway speeds - ramram234

Hello,

I have a 2005 MK2 2005 Focus Zetec that has developed a up/down engine note when under load. Its hard to explain, but instead of a constant engine note it seems to ramp up & down.

A friend says it sounds like a washing machine in the next room, like when all you can hear is the drum going vroom-vroom-vroom

The noise is present when rolling at 60-70mph+ but becomes noisier with acceleration. The noise changes with speed, and the only time it is noticeable under 60mph is when I am accelerating up a steep hill at about 30-40mph.

If anyone has any ideas of what this could be I would be grateful.

Thanks,

James

Ford Focus 1..6 Zetec - noise under load/motorway speeds - Peter D

I assume you have the noise when free wheeling, indicating a wheel bearing failing, due to you comment about accelerating then a front wheel bearing. Regards Peter

Ford Focus 1..6 Zetec - noise under load/motorway speeds - Peter.N.

I think Peter D is probably right, the variation in noise is probably due to the noise from the bearing being at a similar frequency to that of the engine but not exactly the same, what you are hearing is the beat of the two frequencies as they go in and out of phase.