VW Golf - Used Value - RaineMan

My Omega is developing problems faster than I can fix them so it looks like time for a replacement. Budget is limited (£3,000 max) and I really need an auto. Over the weekend I saw a 2000 Golf 1.6 auto (84k) but the asking price seemed a bit steep at £3,495. Or am I just out of touch. Any suggestions appreciated as lng as it is NOT a Vauxhall!

VW Golf - Used Value - Avant

That sounds far too much for a 10-year-old Golf. If you want something as roomy as your Omega, there will be lots of Mondeos around, or Focuses if you don't need the space.

A well-looked after Volvo S60 is worth looking for; if you just want reliability, then look at Honda, Toyota, Nissan and Mazda, preferably petrol.

That said, condition is more important than make when your budget is limited.

One final thought - avoid anything with semi-automatic, CVT or DSG. Semi-automatics have little to commend them even when new, and the other two have yet to prove that they are capable of longevity.

VW Golf - Used Value - primeradriver

You don't buy a Golf for reliability.

They hold their value far too well for that. They're just a car, like any other, and when they get old they start to go wrong. Like any other.

Leave old VWs for those who want the image.

Avant's right when he mentions Fords and Japanese cars. A Korean would be a better bet for reliability at this end of the market as well -- £2500 can sometimes get a 2006 Kia Cerato which is a perfectly good Golf-clone. Not anything to get excited about, but then neither is a 10 year old Golf.

VW Golf - Used Value - DP

Golfs hold their value for a reason. People want them. Simple supply and demand.

MkIV Golfs are great cars, but I agree £3.5k for a 10 yr old one is far too much money. I bought a 99 1.8T GTI a couple of months ago for £1800, albeit with the wrong side of 100k on the clock. Even so, you should be able to pick up something a good 2 years newer for £3.5k, or the same thing a good grand cheaper, if its petrol anyway. My advice would be:

The best car to drive in this class by a country mile, and probably the cheapest to service / maintain will be the Focus. There is a LOT of c*** for sale sub £2k, but odd gem aside, £2.5k will get you a nice one.

The best car to spend time behind the wheel of in this class by a country mile, and the one likely to cost you least in depreciation is the Golf.

The most reliable car in this class and newest for the money will be something from the Far East.

Go and drive some examples of each and see what you think.

Edited by DP on 06/04/2010 at 21:43