What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Volvo S70 vs S80 - LHM
Hi Everyone,

I've been considering a Volvo S70 as my next purchase, with a budget of up to £7k(ish), S-plate or younger. However, I notice that S80s are now becoming available at around this price - possibly more 'leggy' examples - though that doesn't really put me off. Can anyone advise which they feel is the 'better' car? I realise it's a rather vague request, as 'better' means different things to different people. The S80, being a more modern design, has its attractions, but I've read a few criticisms regarding build quality. At this price point, could the older car be a safer bet?

Many thanks,
David
Volvo S70 vs S80 - SjB {P}
My father has one owned from new of the very first S80 2.4 170 models in the country, on an 'S'.

It provides an extremely quiet, comfortable, and unruflled way to travel, with acres of space, all of which in my mind surpasses the equivalent Beemers and Mercs.

What it does not provide is the ultimate driving experience, being more akin to taking part in a video game, such is the refinement and compliant suspension.

The only real problem has been a Volvo recall to replace a defective front suspension component, effectively communicated to my father, and easily conducted by the local UK dealer, despite his example being a personal import.

On the other hand, a colleague of mine ran a previous generation V70 - which I guess yours would be for £7k - and it was a different kettle of fish.

Much more utilitarian, despite good construction and acres of leather. The suspension was also harsher, crashing over bumps
in town, and often feeling like it had square wheels. Yes, really. It also became a noisy place to be at motorway speeds, with plenty of wind rustle and tyre drone.

If you don't need a wardrobe lugger, the S80 would win hands down for me.

Good luck hunting,
Steve
Volvo S70 vs S80 - LHM
Steve,

Thanks for your reply - much appreciated. Most of my motoring is travelling down busy dual-carriageways, so driving dynamics don't figure too highly. Give me a quiet automatic anyday - life's stressful enough! Looks like I need to look more closely at the S80, with either 2.4 170 or the 2.9.
Volvo S70 vs S80 - volvod5_dude
Go for the S80, much more refined than the S70 IMHO.
Volvo S70 vs S80 - Steve S
The 2.4 would be the better bet given your stated priorities, the ride on the 2.9 is harsher.
Volvo S70 vs S80 - Chad.R
Isn't the S70/V70 a "tarted up" Mitsubishi Carisma or something anyway??

Chad.R
Volvo S70 vs S80 - Hawkers T6
Hi There,
I bought a S80 T6 on a W plate with 56k and FVSH for spot on your budget about 6 weeks ago. I appreciate it's early days but i am totally smitten the ride i feel is smooth not silky smooth but with 272bhp under the bonnet it needs to be a bit harsher. I would definatly recommend the S80 over the V70 i test drove the V70 and i feel you would get more for your 7k if you went with the S80
Volvo S70 vs S80 - Truckosaurus
The S60 might be a good compromise over the older-S70 and larger-S80.
Volvo S70 vs S80 - Happy Blue!
I sold an 2.9 S80 last year after 18 months ownership.

I liked (loved) the car, but change of family circumstances dictated a change of car. Anyway....

The V70 supposedly has a better ride, but the S80 is comfortable and a smooth ride, except over potholes and ridges which you really feel. So generally fine, but harsh and crashy over sharp road imperfections. Very good motorway cruiser and excellent audio system.

I would have another.
--
Espada III - well if you have a family and need a Lamborghini, what else do you drive?
Volvo S70 vs S80 - nutty_nissan
Despite rejecting my recently bought S80 2.4 SE with 80k on the clock, due to fairly minor faults, I would say go for the S80 over the V70. It's a newer design, seats are amazing, the ergonomics are world class, and it will cruise quietly all day long. Remember, it was voted the world's safest car in the United States. I found the 2.4 underwhelming for a large car, but it all depends upon your expectations!

Anyway, you can fold the seats down on the S80, so still practical! Oh, and the Dolby Pro Logic sound system was amazing!

why did I not keep it? Oh that's right, I need to go round corners without feeling that I'm driving a boat! For the money, you get a lot of car though..
I would say go for the S80 over the V70. It's a newer design

It depends.
If you mean the old 850 derived V70, then yes.
If you mean the P2 platform V70, then no; The S60/V70/S80 share the same P2 platform and of them the S80 came first by two years.
Blimey! I posted in this ancient thread before I became a Volvo owner!
Anyway, as reguler BRers know, now I have joined the clan this is where I wade in! ;-)
I wanted an S60 - gorgeous looking cars - but found them too cramped in the back.
Ended up with the V70 described below.

Dad's 1998 S80 2.4 170 on standard 16" wheels: As written above, wonderfully comfy but a bit like watching a video game when it comes to driver involvement. The best of these three cars for pure comfort - which totally suits the character of the car - and no 17" shod S60/V70/S80 is going to match it.

Bro's 2003 V70 D5 SE auto on standard fit (for the spec) 17" wheels: Crashes and bumps a bit more than the S80; still comfy though not terribly involving to throw down a B-road.

My 2003 V70 2.4T SE on standard fit (for the spec) 17" wheels plus lowered sports chassis and Nivomatic self levelling suspension: Thumps rather than crashes over bumps but high speed ride is excellent being both taught and comfortable. Though no Elise, this spec is also the most satisfying V70 setup to drive and I'm glad I shelled out the extra dosh. The Nivomatic also does a cracking job of keeping the car well composed and cross-wind tolerant when heavily laden.

All three models have been paragons of reliability and have effortless high speed cruising legs. EIII is right to mention the stereo; the OEM Dolby surround system is the best standard fit stereo I have come across. The premium sound upgrade I paid for is also money well spent though. A veritable concert hall experience.

Volvo S70 vs S80 - Adam {P}
Is the V70 the same platform as the S70 because I'm getting confused.
The original V70 had the same basic underpinnings as the S70 saloon, yes. The current V70 is an entirely different animal though, although many parts - most noticeably drivetrain - have their roots in the S/V70 and even the 850 before that.

More confused now?
Potted history time:

In 1991 Volvo released the 850 saloon (in GLT spec to be exact). Two years later, so 1993, the 850 estate was released. These two models then continued until 1998 when the 850 saloon morphed in to the S70 and the 850 estate morphed in to the original V70. This brought naming in line with that adopted for the S40 and V40 as well as the first P2 platform car, the S80, that was also released in 1998. In 2000 the second P2 platform car, the new V70, went on sale, the S70 and old V70 then being dropped. In 2001 the third P2 platform car, the S60 went on sale.

HTH.
Thanks SjB.

That did actually make sense!
Volvo S70 vs S80 - adverse camber
Key point -

You would be mad to pay £7K for an S70.

(actually I think you need to be slightly unhinged to buy a volvo saloon, but thats just prejudice on my part)
Hmmm.

At first I'd outright disagree with you - the S60 looks gorgeous. Having said that, I'm 20 and think the V70 isn't a bad car at all and a very nice looking estate.

Not quite sure what I'm trying to say but I know how it's making me look!
Volvo S70 vs S80 - adverse camber
thats OK Adam,

pipe, slippers and half a dalmation will be in the post.

That's exactly what my Dad said.

It's just when you read how quick SjB's is. It's difficult to ignore that.