What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
An Easter DIY oil change? - oilrag

You know - to be sure it`s done right and so that you can lay in bed visualizing clear golden oil - nectar of the gods - floating the crankshaft and so on.

A tub of Mobil 1 (bought at discount last Autumn) is handy and circa £10 for a filter spun by Italian craftsmen out of the finest material.

Tthe rubber gloves, the care not to soil the new element - and the feeling of a job well done - well 6 months early perhaps, but who cares?

An Easter DIY oil change? - piston power

Do you prime the new filter by filling with oil?

I hope you put new oil on that o ring seal and wear pink marigolds very fetching.

An Easter DIY oil change? - jc2

A filter spun by Italian craftsmen?????????More likely made in a Chinese sweatshop!!-whatever it says on the box.

No priming with the multijet. You have to remember though to do the filter before draining the oil, so that the filter housing drains into the sump. Maybe ;-)

I heard of a main dealer tech who pushed the sealing ring to the base of the housing rather than locating it in the midway groove where it seals by radial pressure.

A `heads up` warning from an honest service manager on hearing I was doing an in warranty first oil change at 6 months)

According to him, they "almost lost an engine"

An Easter DIY oil change? - DP

Our TDI Golf (now known as "Silver") is beeping for its 100k service (oil change, basically), and I'm toying with having a crack at it myself next weekend. I have a list of stuff for our friendly mechanic to do on the GTI (now known as "Blue") this month, and don't really want to bother him with this. Plus, I do miss the sheer satisfaction of doing it myself. The first car I've owned in ages where the filter is changed from under the bonnet rather than under the car. A novelty. I'm becoming sad.

The unfortunate thing is that I won't get that lovely sweet, unique-to-fresh-oil smoothness from a newly serviced VAG PD. I don't think anyone could ever call a PD engine sweet. ;-) The satisfaction comes more from the mental image of that fresh oil coursing its way around the engine.

Yeah, long live that mental image - worth it just for that ;-)

An Easter DIY oil change? - bathtub tom

I've fitted a new 'stat for the first time in heaven's knows when.

The sludge in the cam-cover seems to be on the move.

I think I'll leave an oil and filter change for a while and hope the bits get caught in the filter.

I did Silver's oil change today. Leisurely hour or so's work, including jacking and supporting the car, and chatting with a neighbour for a good 10 mins or so. Nice and straightforward, even the undertray came off and went back on without any stripped fastenings or broken fixings. 4.5 litres of fresh Comma Fully Synthetic 5W/40 505.01 PD oil, and a new filter. Sounds exactly the same as it did, but I kept that mental image in mind, and got some satisfaction from it. Like all diesels I've ever owned, the turbo seems to spool up a bit more keenly on clean oil, but otherwise all sounds and feels as before.

My karma was only slightly spoiled when I found the split offside outer CV gaiter. A job for my friendly mechanic in the next few weeks, methinks. Can't face it!

Nice to be out pottering in the glorious sunshine this morning though. :-)

Edited by DP on 01/04/2010 at 21:47

An Easter DIY oil change? - Lygonos

"Sounds exactly the same as it did"

If your car sounds better/quieter after an oil change, then you've either been running with no oil, or you've not changed your oil soon enough.

An Easter DIY oil change? - gordonbennet

If your car sounds better/quieter after an oil change, then you've either been running with no oil, or you've not changed your oil soon enough.

Can't agree with that Lygonos, every oil change i've done on my own cars (especially Diesels) and thats a lot have resulted in a quieter engine every single time, and my oils never reach the halfway interval to that recommended before being dropped.

It's not wishful thinking, swmbo knows exactly when it's been done by sound alone.

Others will not agree and the best of luck to them i won't try to persuade anyone else and i won't be swayed either, i can only tell you my observations.

Aside from that i changed my Diesel pick ups oil early in December, it finally turned completely black at the back end of February.

Aside from that i changed my Diesel pick ups oil early in December, it finally turned completely black at the back end of February.

The Golf's new oil was jet black after the initial run to fill the oil filter! :-(

This job is not as rewarding as on a petrol engine IMHO. The lack of combustion noise and vibration on a petrol engine makes it easier to hear and feel the little differences that clean oil makes - the slightly quieter tappets, the slightly smoother overall running. I agree that you can tell the difference, and a video before and after is very telling.

As mentioned in my last post though, I always notice a difference in the turbo response of a diesel on clean oil. The Golf's not shabby in this area anyway, but it's definitely perkier on light accelerator inputs than it was this time yesterday.

An Easter DIY oil change? - gordonbennet

As mentioned in my last post though, I always notice a difference in the turbo response of a diesel on clean oil. The Golf's not shabby in this area anyway, but it's definitely perkier on light accelerator inputs than it was this time yesterday.

Funnily enough i helped my lad to service his Scooby RA about a month ago, probably done 3 or 4K on the oil, Millers 10W60 fully synthetic he uses all the time in it and jolly expensive too.

He found it much improved in response too, much more eager to take off instantly.

On the subject of filthy oil in Diesels, the family owned BMW and Seat PD (now gone) both had black oil instantly after change, i can only think the Toyota pick up must have good drainage or exceptionally clean combustion, when it's done 60K i daresay it'll be just as bad as the others.

The petrol Scooby blackens it's oil quickly too, hardly surprising the torture the poor thing gets..;)

Edited by gordonbennet on 01/04/2010 at 23:54

Just completed the oil change and checked the underbosdy. records show three tubs of Castrol CL waterproof grease being applied to the Punto van last August.

picasaweb.google.com/spamtrap362/DropBox#

Thie pics may be temporary and link point to something else in the future. i`m still learning how to use Picasa.

Sorry, if that happens - although I`m using this particular instance of Picasa exclusively for this forum. I can take pics on my phone and they appear in `Drop box ` if that makes any sense. But there may be different pics in it later and the above link will point to them.

Maybe...

An Easter DIY oil change? - Carl2

Always thought the fact that the cam cover hasbeen filled up with fresh oil before if flows to the sump contributes to a bit less noise from the top end on start up.

An Easter DIY oil change? - lotusexige

I just going to fit a new alternator belt tomorrow. It will be the first belt I've fitted for over 20 years.

It snapped yesterday just as it passed 6500 rpm, bang, rattle baterry light on. Luckily only the belt the alternator had not siezed. My local man is closed untill Tuesday so ist will be skinned knucles and swearing time romorrow.