What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Focus 1.8 zetec- 2001 - red key query - flintstone
Hello All,

Having a bad day! This morning, I managed to lose the only remote central locking key for my focus. I still have the 'master key' with the red tab and a loop attached with a 7 digit code starting with a T.

My problems seemed to have been compounded when I tried to use this key. The car was unlocked, I tried to start the car unsucessfully; the barrel wouldn't turn. I was able to lock the car but now unable to open it!

I've had the car 4 years, and this is the first time that I've needed to use the master key. Also it may be nothing but I've changed the batteries in the remote key (now lost) recently.

Couple of questions:
How am I able to lock the car but unable to unlock it?
Can I assume that I have the wrong master key for this car?
If I potentially have no keys for this car, is the only option to resolve this issue a visit to a Ford dealer?

I would would appreciate any pearls of wisdom that you have.

Thanks (I'll now start putting the house back together!)
Ford Focus 1.8 zetec- 2001 - red key query - elekie&a/c doctor
Firstly,Fords of this age do not have a "master" key.All the keys are the same.the only difference is if they have remote buttons.The key that you have never used before is not the correct key for your car.it probably fits somebody elses car.This type of key fitted to many fords will lock any door from any model but you need the right one to unlock.Unfortunately that is the situation you are now in.Try Autolocksmiths.net.They will get you out of trouble.hth
Ford Focus 1.8 zetec- 2001 - red key query - Dave_TD

Silly question: You have tried the red key in all the locks on the car and not just the driver's door, haven't you? Just to confirm that it's not the red key for your car, as opposed to just not the key for your driver's door lock...

The Chubb keys used by Ford for quite a few years now do indeed lock any door on any model, looks like it's time to call a locksmith.
Ford Focus 1.8 zetec- 2001 - red key query - L'escargot
Assuming that the T number is the correct number for that particular key, start by asking a Ford dealer to check whether it's the right number for your car. At least that should prove whether or not the key is right for your car.
Ford Focus 1.8 zetec- 2001 - red key query - rtj70
The fact the key would not turn in the ignition nor will it unlock the car suggests its the wrong key. As said above any key will lock the car.

I am puzzled how the car was unlocked and then the key lost. Can you not find it?

Time to get a locksmith or Ford to help. Ford can perhaps cut and code a key for your car at a cost. You'll need to prove ownership though.
Ford Focus 1.8 zetec- 2001 - red key query - flintstone
Thanks all for your help, looks like i'll be phoning autolocksmiths tomorrow (thank for the nod).

As to why the car was unlocked in the first place, I had got something from the car that morning, and forgotten to lock the door. This is a habit that drives my wife nuts!