What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
To buy a used Saab or not? - Bongo163
A friend wants to buy a used diesel estate car, circa 2006 with about 50k on the clock. He wants something reasonably comfortable with a few toys. For obvious reasons there are some very good SAAB 93 bargains going about. It would probably be the 1.9tdi(150) version. We would be very interested in everyone?s opinions on such a purchase.
To buy a used Saab or not? - TheOilBurner
A lot has been said here both for and against this engine and the quality of the Saab 9-3.

Unfortunately, the first 50k tends to be the sweet spot for this engine, and problems arise after that.

However, they don't all go wrong, and when they're working they're very good units, as I know from personal experience.

I would consider one, but I'd be looking for evidence that the swirl valve has already been fixed and then I'd invest in a cam belt/tensioner/water pump change.

At that point, it should be fine.
To buy a used Saab or not? - Bongo163
My question was more about future value and the availability of parts.

Edited by Bongo163 on 17/02/2010 at 11:46

To buy a used Saab or not? - TheOilBurner
Availability of parts won't be a problem, the 9-3 is a Vectra-C underneath, so no problems there.

And GM still have a large stake in Spyker-Saab, so it shouldn't be an issue going forward at all.

Future value? It all depends on how well Spyker do with Saab, doesn't it?

Either way, Rover values seemed to bounce back quite quickly even with MG Rover truly dead and gone.
To buy a used Saab or not? - pd
The success or otherwise of Spyker-Saab is not likely to have a massive effect on the value of a 2006 car - especially in 2-3 years time.

Once cars get 5-6 years old they are judged more on whether they stop and go and general condition/mileage.

Good condition 03-05 plate 75 and ZT's diesel still fetch strong money btw.
To buy a used Saab or not? - bimmer-driver
I would be very wary of anything with the this 1.9 engine. Too many horror sotries.
To buy a used Saab or not? - brettmick
I had a 93 saloon with this engine for 3 years and 70k miles. It is noisy when cold and the first gear change from 1st to 2nd when cold sounds like the gearbox is falling out. However, once warm it is a strong, flexible and lusty unit that returned me high 40s MPG. I had the Euro CAT3 version of the car.

A year on and I have a 2004 2 litre petrol Legacy via a brand new 1.8 Turbo Petrol A3. I miss the Saab for the performance and fuel economy, but the Subaru (a year older with the same mileage) is so much better screwed together. The rattle on the Saab that was starting to come from behind the speedo plus the rattly front shocks were the tipping point.

I would have another one, but the price would have to be Vectra money.