What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
04 2.0 Engine hard to turn - Rachael
Have the above car and the engine seems to be tight when turning. It wont start.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 14/02/2010 at 01:52

04 2.o Engine hard to turn - piston power
Rachael, Do you mean when you turn the key it won't crank over or when you put a socket on the crank pulley nut with a breaker bar it won't turn over?

I know this is your first post but more information is needed please if you want our help.

You could have a jammed starter motor, timing out or a seized engine.
04 2.o Engine hard to turn - Rachael
Hi Bigtee, thanks for the reply.

The crank shaft does turn but hits a tight spot after about three quarters of a turn. Took out injectors, no valves bent or conrods.

04 2.o Engine hard to turn - Peter.N.
Did this happen when you were driving it or after it had been standing?
04 2.o Engine hard to turn - Rachael
My dad actually bought the car like this. He is a mechanic by trade and thinks that he will need to buy a new engine.
I thought I would try this site to see if anyone else had a similar problem?
It doesnt drive at all.
Thanks for your reply Peter
It sounds terminal may have had no oil in and seized worn out shell bearings he will be stripping it down im sure to examine crank bearings.

Replacement engine probably better than re build.
04 2.o Engine hard to turn - sierraman
>>, timing out <<

Surely not possible these days,anyway would not affect a non running engine.Why not whip the head off,then you would know which end is giving the problem,sounds like the symptom of slightly bent valve(s).
>>, timing out << Yes valve timing if the belt has slipped a tooth or been played with as in this case it's a non runner.