What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
the joys of older cars ie bangernomicsnot - dieseldogg
Ie my ould Galaxy
was going powerful well
Just the stopping was a bit ............non existent
So £156.00 later we are good to go & stop again
I am not going to attempt to identify what will fail next.
the joys of older cars ie bangernomicsnot - dieselfitter
Your Galaxy needs its nose wiping next (to remove the bangernomic snot)
the joys of older cars ie bangernomicsnot - J Bonington Jagworth
Ah, the Ford Galaxy - I remember* it well...

farm4.static.flickr.com/3360/3235164005_df605cd1dc...g

*Largely because when I was at school, one of the boys departed in the estate version. It impressed me because his school trunk fitted in through the rear window, whereas mine occupied the entire boot of our car.
the joys of older cars ie bangernomicsnot - ForumNeedsModerating
So, it cost £156 to fix the brakes - why is that unusual for any car banger or not?

I just spent £1300 on a service & repairs - and that's not (technically) in bangernomics territory.

Just because it's a 'banger' doesn't mean it's immune from ordinary maintenance costs.

the joys of older cars ie bangernomicsnot - SteveLee
Yes I was astonished to learn that brakes can wear out on a big heavy car - surely they should last at least 300,000 miles? :-)
the joys of older cars ie bangernomicsnot - SpamCan61 {P}
I think 156 quid is about the cost of an oil change at an Audi main dealer, so seems good value for fixing brakes.
the joys of older cars ie bangernomicsnot - dieseldogg
Ere
Did I say It WASNT, good value
I was simply too blinking LAZY to do it myself, so £60.00 labour charge incurred.
As I commented as I paid the bill, sure its only a fill & a half of diesel ( Ok this in the Steyr)
Two fills for the Galaxy
see
It is simply the costs of keeping an older motor on the road.
Exhaust probably next
Compared to the expenditure free bliss of running a newer motor.
once the purchase cheque is gone that is
Ps
I tink I got 60,000 out of the front pads
And £1300.00 FOR A SERVICE

Edited by dieseldogg on 18/01/2010 at 16:25

the joys of older cars ie bangernomicsnot - ForumNeedsModerating
>>It is simply the costs of keeping an older motor on the road.

Same cost - old or new; brakes is brakes.

>>Compared to the expenditure free bliss of running a newer motor.

Well, that's the whole point of bangernomics isn't it? You're not paying the cost
of a new car. But, horror of horrors, maintenance cost on consumables is still necessary!
the joys of older cars ie bangernomicsnot - SteveLee
Some modern cars eat pads and discs, Lexus IS200 anybody...
the joys of older cars ie bangernomicsnot - Jcoventry
I don't believe any motoring is cheap unless you do all servicing and repairs yourself, but then you still have the cost of an MOT, road tax, insurance, fuel, ... I believe no matter what car you buy, you should add £1000 to your budget to compensate for unexpected problems (more if its an old luxury car like old 7 series, old s class, etc). Then it's not so much of a worry when things need repairing, since you've already budgeted for it.