What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Best way to protect your vehicle from theft - paul2007
Hi

my jeep take about 100 squid to fill up and the merc about 80.

i'm not sure if the jeep has a tilt alam by my s class does.

other than park the cars in the garage, which i dont usually do, how else can i/you make the car less prone to fuel theft?

i did post on another thread a while back how someone we knew had their fuel stolen but 2/300 quids of damage to the underside as the cut a pipe or something

thank you!

btw, out our previous address i used to park the merc right up against a wall/pillar and in line with the fuel cap.

Edited by Pugugly on 11/01/2010 at 18:00

Best Way to protect Your vehicle From theft - CGNorwich
Move to a more salubrious area?
Best Way to protect Your vehicle From theft - FotheringtonThomas
Don't fill it up.
Best Way to protect Your vehicle From theft - dimdip
Outdoor security lights triggered by movement/heat must be one of the most effective deterents, and very cheap too. Preferably not the hideous black square industrial things though.
Best Way to protect Your vehicle From theft - paul2007
cheers but i have probs with them.

as i type i'm researching.

noted some 'magic eyes' that you can put on your gate posts - once some walks through it trigers a small, portable alarm that alearts you to this fact.

will try and post link here - anyone tried - any good?
Best Way to protect Your vehicle From theft - bell boy
Park it under a street light
Ive had vehicle fuel theft and basically if they are going for it unless you know they are there there isnt a lot you can do
Consider a camera outside your house that registers movement and bleeps at you if someone passes,modern ones can give a small area of coverage
your jeep is most susceptable because its easier to get underneath so as you say make that the harder vehicle to attack
Best Way to protect Your vehicle From theft - ifithelps
Buy a G-Wiz.

cheers BB

you are spot on about the jeep and i'm aware of this.

We do have security lights on over drive, but the trees and cars that drive by ignite them as well as the foxes.

the garge is not large enough to take both cars.

just a thought - fuel will rise and make our cars more vulnerable, so like gun crime, why not make a new law where these low lives that steal fuel are locked up for one year min for first offence/etc? it will not stop all crooks but will put some off - just an idea!
Best Way to protect Your vehicle From theft - CGNorwich
"but the trees and cars that drive by ignite them as well as the foxes"

Absolute classic Paul :-)
www.taitsecurity.co.uk/Intruder-Alarms/alarm-detec...l

has anyone tried same or similar - are they good?

i'm busy this week and guests sat - behind with work as working from home today.

all good help appreciated

Best Way to protect Your vehicle From theft - bell boy
first thing the crime prevention officer will tell you is cut back the cover of trees and bushes if these offer protection to thieves
as for the detectors yes ive used them years ago at work but they do get annoying with their little ping ping noise and i always tried to jump over it,it didnt have a red beam though
thing is its a thin line from being paranoid
Cheers BB

I've worked for crime prevention in a certain capacity years ago and have cut back all trees and taken down the porch and security light fitted by door. we turn off the bigger security lights as they play up. we do have a metal sliding gate for the cars and can lock it but we have to leave the pedestrian gate open.

i think i will have to park up the jeep in the garage as this is only used on our hols and w/es and leave the other car out, against a wall on the petrol cap side and the car is relatively low slung and has a tilt alarm though i do not know how good this is for side ways tilt.
than you.

may get the sensors as well
Best Way to protect Your vehicle From theft - 659FBE
Run it on LPG.

Best Way to protect Your vehicle From theft - George Porge
Chain a big dog to them
Best Way to protect Your vehicle From theft - Andy P
Making the fuel filler inaccessible won't stop them. Now they simply stick a screwdriver through the fuel tank and collect it from underneath the car. The only way to stop this is to put some form of metal shielding around it - it may not stop them if they're determined but it'll probably put them off enough to go and find an unprotected car.
Best Way to protect Your vehicle From theft - FotheringtonThomas
Consider a camera outside your house that registers movement and bleeps

If you do that you'll be up and down more often than a whatsit's whatnots, and end up turning the thing off, or kicking it.
Best Way to protect Your vehicle From theft - David Horn
You could leave some broken glass under your car - handy for DNA evidence. Downside is that you may find your car torched shortly afterward. :(
Problem solved

our garage is relatively large as it can easily hold the s class or the jeep but not both.

solution - install gate to rear garden and drive one of the cars to the garden and stick the other in the garage. as we only recently moved here, been meaning to get an electronic garage gate - so at the same time as the eletric garage door, will have installed one to the rear and a bit of block paving. should reduce the car insurance premiums as well as cars are insured to park on drive as i knew i would not bother with the garge every night.

thanks to all those that sincerely tried to help

end!
Best Way to protect Your vehicle From theft - George Porge
Get yourself a good padlock for that gate, scroats nick them you know.....
Best Way to protect Your vehicle From theft - Kevin
A cheaper and more effective option:

Buy a beeswax block, a PP3 battery and a flashing LED.

Connect LED to battery and run two wires into a hole in the beeswax block. Strap them together and mount them underneath the vehicle near the fuel line. Stick a printed label on the beeswax - "Semtex H".

Any scroat climbing underneath is unlikely to hang around long enough to steal fuel ;-)

Kevin...
Best Way to protect Your vehicle From theft - bathtub tom
Is marzipan cheaper?
Best Way to protect Your vehicle From theft - David Horn
I like Kevin's idea most but heaven help you if it drops off in the local supermarket car park.
kevin

As I started reading your post, initially i thought you was trying to be funny.

the only problem I can foresee is that most low lives I've had the misfortune to encounter are usually illiterate.

thanks anyway!

Best Way to protect Your vehicle From theft - Kevin
>initially i thought "you was" trying to be funny..

>most low lives I've had the misfortune to encounter are usually illiterate.

Mmmm!

Kevin...