What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
06 2.0 Frozen Door Catch - Whisky
Hi All. With this cold weather the focus is having some issues and wondered if anyone had some suggestions. Basicly after a cold night (under -5) the door catch on the drivers side is refusing to catch. I can unlock and open the car fine but until the engine has warmed up the door won't catch when shut. Its a pain in the backside holding it shut for the 1st 5 mins of my journey until it decides to hold itself. Sprayed a load of WD40 on the catch the over day but same thing happened again this moring. Don't really want to take the whole thing to peices unless I really have to. Any suggestions as to the next thing to try?

All the other doors are fine by the way.

Edited by Whisky on 07/01/2010 at 15:46

06 2.0 Frozen Door Catch - sandy56
try graphite grease from halfords.
you dont need a lot, a thin film should do.
06 2.0 Frozen Door Catch - scouse_mouse
Did you ever resolve this as I'm having exactly the same problem with a 55 Focus 5 door on the drivers side.

WD40 in the mechanism doesn't work so I have to empty half a hot kettle in there each morning!
06 2.0 Frozen Door Catch - dieselnut
Putting water near the lock sounds the wrong way to go, as frozen water somewhere in the lock mechanism is probably the cause of your problem.
Why not try a hairdrier as this may well evaporate the offending water after it has melted.
06 2.0 Frozen Door Catch - piston power
Silicone grease spray this into the locks the best you can better to remove the trim.