What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
98 3.0 One cooling fan not working - quadmyre
Hello y'all

It seems my n/s cooling fan is not working. Neither fan appears to come on when I would expect them on at slow speed, only the o/s fan comes on full speed when temp gets over 90ish.

From reading other threads it seems major possibilities are either the one fan is dead (open circuit), or there may be a relay problem (though I can't ascertain for sure whether this would cause these symptoms). I'm kind of hoping it could be the latter as it sounds as though the fan motors are a pig to change.

Any tips would be helpful haven't had a chance to have it apart yet but want to avoid wasting time following a wrong lead when it's so frikkin cold outside to work on it!

Cheers

Justin
98 3.0 One cooling fan not working - mjm
If it's the same set up as a Citroen Xantia then the relays are probably the first step. It could be that the second fan is tied in with the air-con, if you have it.

Have a browse through www.frenchcarforum.co.uk there's loads of information on there.
hth
98 3.0 One cooling fan not working - steve_earwig
The fans run in series for low speed, so if one's out all you'll get is the other pulsing full tilt and eventually a dash full of lights as the air con overheats (not likely just now...) Could be relays as they're well placed to receive all the salt spray going but if it's the motors then probably brushes. I'm told the later motors are the same, just different fans. You can get them off without removing the condenser, either by taking the slam panel off, unclipping the radiator, carefully pushing it all backwards and skinning your knuckles on the radiator fins or by removing the front bumper and dropping the whole lot out the bottom. Btw the screws holding the fans on the motors are a left-hand thread.
98 3.0 One cooling fan not working - HyundaiOwnersClubAdmin
There might be a resistor pack between the two fans which could be faulty
98 3.0 One cooling fan not working - zookeeper
pugs dont like the weather according to the top stories here , 8/10 are pug related