What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
busmans holiday - bell boy
following on from Manatee"s wonderful pathe news link i found this,you have to watch it all mind
brilliant
best thing ever invented trolleybuses,might get round to going to the museum in lincolnshire one day
www.britishpathe.com/record.php?id=2378
busmans holiday - gordonbennet
Thanks BB, enjoyed mucho.

Misty eyed swmbo and i here, how nice to see real happy kids and what a superb working scale model, don't hear of real eccentrics or enthusiasts like that chap anymore.
busmans holiday - Old Navy
>>don't hear of real eccentrics or enthusiasts like that chap
anymore.

These days 'elf n' safety jobsworths would be down like a ton of bricks.

Excellent movie.
I remember from the 1950's a guy who lived near me in London had a live steam model railway around his (big) garden. Pity there aren't more of these dedicated enthusiasts these days.
busmans holiday - Pugugly
.... a tonne :-)
busmans holiday - Old Navy
.... a tonne :-)

>>

I'm too old to be metric, if thats what a tonne is :-)
busmans holiday - Manatee
I remember them in Huddersfield and Bradford. I'm too young to remember the trams.

I suppose there must be a reason why cities like Edinburgh are spending improbable amounts of money and impoverishing the council tax payers building tramways when they could have trolley buses, but I can't think what it might be.

It's possible that it just didn't occur to them, as it obviously didn't strike them as a bad idea to fence off the length of Princes Street blocking off the gardens this August during the prime tourist season, the Fringe, the Festival, and the Tattoo.
busmans holiday - Ben 10
"There were real ones in London until the early or mid sixties."

My mum was a conductress on these on the Uxbridge Road. She was too short to swap the conductor pole on the return trip and had to get her drivers to do it. This was the late 50s.
busmans holiday - b308
I think that people are starting to look again at trolleybuses Manatee, and not before time, I entirely agree with you that if you want electric urban road transport a trolleybus is far better and flexible (and cheaper) than a tram...

BTW if you want the real thing, then the Black Country Museum still run them from time to time!