What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
00 2.0 Gearbox stuck in 4th... - quietmole
Hi

Ford Focus Estate, X reg. Gearbox just gone sloppy and stuck in 4th. Clutch seems OK, I managed to drive it back. Lever will move easily forward and back but not side to side.

Any advice on the best place to start looking.

Thanks
00 2.0 Gearbox stuck in 4th... - track
Gear cables are prone to failure on these cars, not overly complex to replace but there are a few types so buy from someone that orders via the chassis number to avoid a repeat trip.
Thanks Track, I'll start there and see what happens.
Haynes says it's necessary to take off a lot of stuff before accessing the cables (undershield, wheelarch liner, wheels, front section of exhaust pipe, exhaust heat shield...)

Does anyone know if that's all really required, or is it possible to access more simply?

According to the manual it should be the MTX 75 box as used on Mondeos.

00 2.0 Gearbox stuck in 4th... - jc2
If it's got a "lift-up" detent for reverse on the gear-lever,it's an MTX 75.
Yup, it's the MTX 75 alright
Right, it's the selector cable not remaining engaged with the selector lever arm at the back of the box. It is a loose fit on the spigot and just drops off in use. If it wasn't such a pig to get at I could probably refit it using something to keep it attached, but it's almost impossible to get two working hands in there, even with lots of stuff taken off.

I'm expecting to have to buy a new cable (hopefully with a 'good' connection).

Best place to buy or alternative suggestions for a remedy gratefully accepted.

Cheers