What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Anyone Speak Dutch? A Timely Tale. - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}
My elderly neighbour asked me if I could reset the car clock in his new Ford Ka.
He'd apparently tried himself but managed to depart from the English language.Prodding and scrolling revealed it was in Dutch. By a process of elimination and comparing the series of menus with the English manual I worked out that Dutch for language was Taal (don't hold me to it). On return to English the time setting was easy.
I trust a bottle of something will be on its way at Xmas.
Anyone Speak Dutch? A Timely Tale. - martint123
It used to be a common jape that if someone left a mobile while they went to relieve themselves to set the language set to SerboCroat or something. Nightmare to navigate a foreign menu to get it back ;)
Anyone Speak Dutch? A Timely Tale. - Rattle
Try repairing a computer when its all in Polish! It dosn't happen every often but it makes the process ten times harder.
Anyone Speak Dutch? A Timely Tale. - Derfel
Babelfish could be handy in these circumstances. It seems that Taal does indeed mean Language.

babelfish.yahoo.com/?fr=bf-home

Anyone Speak Dutch? A Timely Tale. - rtj70
Try repairing a computer when its all in Polish

I've had to provide support (and try repairing/installing) Windows in Japanese! Now that is confusing. We used to have Japan Tobacco as a customer in Manchester near the Trafford Centre. It's now an Argos warehouse.

Edited by rtj70 on 03/11/2009 at 16:41

Thats gone now too :( last time I went past the Argos signs had gone and a big for lease sign was there.

Must be very confusing as its not even the same charector set but I suppose once you do a few it becomes automatic you just know where to click.

Keeping this motoring related I also find the same with FIATs, you open up the bonnet and see lots of Italian but very little English. My car is made in Spain but everything is in English.
Anyone Speak Dutch? A Timely Tale. - Dutchie
You are correct well done it is Taal for language.(I should know):)
In the book it should have said Nederlandse Taal.
Anyone Speak Dutch? A Timely Tale. - NorfolkDriver
I've repaired laptops in Chinese and Italian, neither of which are vaguely close to the native language in Norfolk :)

I managed to do most without the help of the customer due to knowing where things like "Device Manager" were in the listings and also the icons within the Control Panel aided me too!

Had one in French last week, right stuck up woman was the owner. I asked her to confirm that what I wanted was .... and the look I got was incredible.

Sorry but I'm a PC engineer and not a language student :)
I have one regular Polish customer and they are very nice about it and translate anything they can, luckily their Windows is in English its just stuff applications that are in Polish.

One thing I have noticed is its amazing how a none English speaking communities use their own unique software. In Poland for example they have their own messenger service where as English speaking countries seem to use M$ as default.

I have found some foriegn customers can sound very rude but it is often because they don't have the English skills to be tactful.

Now I am trying to find a motoring link but I have hit a cul de sac.
English skills to be tactfull?I like that one, spend some time in yorkshire and you find out what tactfull is :)
Anyone Speak Dutch? A Timely Tale. - Dave_TD
English skills to be tactfull?!

Try this then:

"Hello, XXXX cars"
"Taxi!"
"Where from sir?"
"4, XXXX Street"
"And where are you going today, Mr XXXX?"
"Doctor."
"Ok sir, it'll be with you in 10 minutes."
"Good."
*click*