What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
03 2.0 TDCi Rattle from engine when idling - jailey
Hi, When my mondeo 2.0 TDCI (117k) is idling it has a rattling sound which sometimes disappears. It just sound like a loose plastic casement vibrating, but when I press the clutch down it stops, or if i lightly press the accelerator the noise eases off a little . Someone said this could be the thrust bearing or flywheel starting to go. Can anyone assist ?
Thanks

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 14/10/2009 at 19:55

03 2.0 Rattle from engine when idling - cheddar
If it goes when the clutch is depressed the DMF (clutch/flywheel) is a possibility however the aux belts can thrum at idle, a touch on the throttle stops it, new belts and tensioner cure it.
03 2.0 Rattle from engine when idling - kithmo
Aux belt tensioner and/or bottom pulleys generally make a noise on these, noise goes as idle is increased, not usually a problem unless it's very noisy. Can't recall noise going when clutch is pressed though, so it could be as Cheddar says, DMF or possibly thrust bearing.
03 2.0 TDCi Rattle from engine when idling - UkCobra
I had this on my 55 Plate TDCI and a friend on his 04 one, both were cured by reprogramming the injectors.

Occasionally Ford release updates to the way in which the injectors behave, mine went bad, they reprogrammed it, and the car ran better and was more economical.

My reprogramming was done under warranty, my friend paid £12 for it, which it was in for other work.