What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
A4 Avant SE 2.0 TDi Multitronic - opinions? - cheddar
OK, I was going to take on a Mini Cooper S though it has no aircon so I now have 2008 A4 Avant SE 2.0 TDi Multitronic lined up, any thoughts?

I think it is a 140 rather than 170, its a PD so not expecting great refinement, any views on the Multitronic gearbox?

Ta!
A4 Avant SE 2.0 TDi Multitronic - opinions? - cjehuk
If it's a current model one then it will be a CR model. Both the 140 and the 170 are now CR engines. Personally I think the Multitronic gearbox suits that engine quite well. It's smoother and quieter than the manual and the transmission hides much of the turbo lag. If you change the oil bang on time in the Gearbox it will give you little trouble from what I've seen. If you're going to tow heavy loads regularly it might not be best for the gearbox longevity though. If you don't, try it and buy it if you enjoy it. In my view with Audi's gearboxes the Tiptronic is best, then the Multitronic, then Manual, then the S-Tronic/DSG which is just not smooth enough or reactive enough in auto mode to effectively replace a conventional or CVT auto.

Edited by cjehuk on 05/10/2009 at 20:56

A4 Avant SE 2.0 TDi Multitronic - opinions? - Altea Ego
The 140 is the best of the range. The 170 torque and power is very peaky and not useable in a nice smooth way
Thanks guys, its a pool car I am taking on, its the previous model so a PD, then again some some 2008 MK V Golfs were CR?
A4 Avant SE 2.0 TDi Multitronic - opinions? - Manatee
>>The 140 is the best of the range. The 170 torque and power is very peaky and not useable in a nice smooth way

...I've heard this of the PD from someone who's had both outputs - does it apply to the CR also?
A4 Avant SE 2.0 TDi Multitronic - opinions? - DP
This makes for slightly grim reading, although I suppose the repair costs won't be your problem, being a company car.

Link to PistonHeads

tinyurl.com/ya88k8p
A4 Avant SE 2.0 TDi Multitronic - opinions? - rtj70
I thought one general concern on multitronic was long term reliability. Not a problem for you because it is short term and a company car.
A4 Avant SE 2.0 TDi Multitronic - opinions? - Avant
I had a 2004 Avant 2.5 TDI with Multitronic and did over 30,000 miles - no problems, and no performance loss either. I was very happy with it. There are stories of trouble with high-mileage Multitronics but I'd have thought that by 2008 any design faults would have been sorted out.

I think the new 2.0 TDIs have DSG rather than Multitronic, but if true I don't know when the change happened. The 140 PD has more of a surge of power when the turbo kicks in, but it's less sudden than the 170 PD, and you do get used to accelerating gradually and getting the best out of it (my last car was a Golf with the 140 PD).

The Golf was noisy but Audis I believe are a little better soundproofed. When they give you a new one, go for a CR 170 Avant if the company will run to it, and maybe an Octavia vRS or a Superb if they won't: it's a great engine.

Edited by Avant on 05/10/2009 at 22:30

A4 Avant SE 2.0 TDi Multitronic - opinions? - LikedDrivingOnce
According to the official website...err...Avant, the A4 Avant matches multitronic gearboxes to the following engines:
Petrol - 1.8 TFSI, 2.0 TFSI , 3.2 TFSI Front-wheel Drive.
Diesel - 2.0 TDI & 2.7 TDI

You get Tiptronic with the 3.2 FSI, and 3.0 TDI (Both AWD)

You get DSG (S tronic in Audi parlance) with the 2.0 TFSI Quattro.

I hear what you say about Audi and sorting out design faults of the Multitronic, but I would still be worried. Why bother when there are so many other nice A4's to choose from, not to mention the excellent vRS that you mention?
The thread is cheddar asking for opinions on the multitronic which he is getting as a short term pool car until his actual car turns up.

I'd have thought a car of this age will show no problems and will be sorted by the warranty and company. If it goes off road then a loan car from Audi or a hire car will be provided.

If I were Cheddar, I'd take this car and delay ordering a new one just in case you like this. Then do a deal with the company to get it cheaper. If we took a pool car instead of ordering a new one we benefit financially.
Thanks rtj!
I'd like an Audi A5 Sportback personally ;-) I did a few quotes a while back but due to redundancies they've stopped the quote system - there will be cars to reallocate and/or leases to terminate.

... I've still got my car for another 2 years. Not bored just yet.
I'd like an Audi A5 Sportback personally ;-) >>

Hmm, are they only 4 seat like the A5?
there will be cars to reallocate and/or leases to terminate.

>>

My new employer seems to be in the same situation hence it looks like I will have a pool car for a while rather than simply while a new car is ordered, not a problem, the car is kind of incidental, the package is very good.

Not yet sure if I will have to keep whatever car I have (probably the Audi) until the end of its lease. Also not sure of the terms of the lease, time v mileage etc.

How much does it cost to terminate a lease? Perhaps better than having a car sitting unused depreciating.

Edited by cheddar on 06/10/2009 at 08:13

If there are cars on the fleet available, my employer tends to make new employees take one until the end of the lease. Ending the lease early probably costs a fair bit and they'd try to avoid that.

If you had to keep the A4 until the end of the lease (so could easily be 2011 if a three year lease and when in 2008 it was delivered) it could be worse. Not a bad car to be stuck with. And again I'd not worry about the Multitronic because it is not yours to fix.

As for the A5 Sportback - pretty sure it's a 4 seater too. But as a company car driver the 180PS 2.0T is pretty good for BIK. Okay you won't get as many mpg as a diesel but you don't pay the extra 3% on value of car as you do on a diesel.

Edited by rtj70 on 06/10/2009 at 09:34