What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Thule 9503 Towbar bike carrier. - Pugugly
After some research I've decided to opt for one of these - anyone used any towbar mounted Thule product on a CRV 3 ?

Why ride the bally thing when you can stick it on the back of the car ?
Thule 9503 Towbar bike carrier. - Alby Back
Very good piece of kit in my view. Keeps the rack and bike/s out of the windrush. I use a roof mounted system which is also good but it cream crackers the mpg. The towbar jobby would be ideal for your car given the extra height and the infamous parsimony of solicitors.......

;-)
No - towbar is a compromise - I didn't fancy lifting a riding iron onto the roof
Thule 9503 Towbar bike carrier. - bazza
Of all the various systems, I prefer the towbar mounting. You may need to invest in a number plate and lighting board dependant on whether your tail lights are obscured. As above, lifting them onto the roof is a chore and it does indeed wreck any ideas of fuel economy, (and it does make the car very high, with associated risks!), whilst on the back, haven't noticed any difference. Also make sure you have some kind of packing available, such as bubble wrap or polystyrene to avoid the bikes marking you paintwork.
Thule 9503 Towbar bike carrier. - Alby Back
Yes of course, I can imagine that a retired gentleman might indeed find the lifting a bit much....

;-)
Usefully - really usefully it has a built in tail-board and lights.
Thule 9503 Towbar bike carrier. - NARU
I have the two bike version (9502) which fits the towball on my landcruiser.

You need to make sure its nice and tight on the towball, but they even supplied a spanner to do it up (only a cheap pressed one, but good enough).

Edited by Marlot on 06/09/2009 at 21:54

Thule 9503 Towbar bike carrier. - loskie
I would highly recommend a MAXXRAXX towbar mounted carrier it still allows use of the towbar at the same time. Looks like it's been crafted by a blacksmith, holds bikes tight need no re adjusting. Gives full confidence in use. Like said earlier buy some polystyrene type pipe lakking to protect bike frame from knocks and rubbing.

Edited by loskie on 06/09/2009 at 23:25

Thule 9503 Towbar bike carrier. - Waino
I can't comment specifically on the CR-V/Thule combination, but we've just bought an Atera Strada tow-bar mounted rack - and it's brilliant. The lights/number plate are built in and there's no need for any extra padding etc.

The only snag is that I will need to get a tow-bar fitted when I change the car - though I do tend to hang on to cars for ages.
I got a new Thule carrier from E-Bay on a best offer - a right bargain it was (!) I was attracted to the tow bar option as I was adviced against a tailgate mounted one for the CRV due to the back door being made of some composite material. I need a tow-bar for my trailer so the solution dawned on me. The rational is that if it doesn't work that it can be flogged on for what I bought it at or more - it was a very good price. Halfords had one on offer for 89 pounds (own brand).

Thanks for the advice.