What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
01 2.0 TDDI engine oil level increasing - Another John H
The car has been idle for some months, then in the last few months pressed into service with long runs midlands to the lakes and back most weekends (250 miles each way (6K since April)), after changing appropriate oil and filters.

During one of the earlier runs a turbo hose blew off, and it was refitted, as a replacement provided by FORD against the serial number/VIN didn't fit.
I understand this hose has again had a problem (split in 4 places), and now three hoses have been replaced by new (due to the damaged hose no longer being in production).

More or less coincident with the second hose problem, the engine oil level has started to increase - now above maximum - and it is believed to be caused by diesel fuel in the oil.

Is this a known issue? I can't find it having searched all over the place.

I understand the mechanic intends to replace the high pressure pump (which has a cost near the value of the car).

What is going on here?

Is there another (cheaper!) thing to try first before the pump?

In anticipation.

Another John H
01 2.0 TDDI engine oil level increasing - Peter.N.
Leaking injectors while the car is not running could cause fuel to enter the sump but I wouldn't have thought it would have been enough to noticably increase the fuel level. Neat fuel entering the cylinders while running would cause excessive smoke and knocking. The only other route I can think of would be directly into the sump via a leaking high pressure pump.
01 2.0 TDDI engine oil level increasing - jc2
Surely there is no connection between the high-pressure pump and the crankcase or am I thinking of the wrong engine?.Fuel could not enter engine when not running-tank is lower.
01 2.0 TDDI engine oil level increasing - Peter D
If this is a tandem pump then fuel at HP can leak into the vacuum side and end up in the sump. Regards Peter
01 2.0 TDDI engine oil level increasing - Pugugly
Headgasket and coolant maybe ?
01 2.0 TDDI engine oil level increasing - Wurzel83
Headgasket and coolant maybe ?

Have a look for HG symptoms such as pressure at the expansion tank, mayonase under the oil filler cap, silvery coloured oil at the dipstick.

Although I never knew HG failure was a common fault on this engine.
Further information, having just spoken to the owner:

the coolant level is unchanged.

the fuel consumption is worse

there was about an extra litre in the sump.

Not looking like there's a cheap option, so far...

Any ideas what's the best price for a good exchange unit, and where from?

(up to press, £300 plus VAT)
Even further information:

I'm (now) told the oil level isn't increasing.
(I'm taking this all as gospel as it's not my car, and I've never measured it.)

Remains to be seen where this one ends... I'll post again if it ends in tears.
01 2.0 TDDI engine oil level increasing - Armitage Shanks {p}
Don't Ford ownn Mazda, or the other way round? Might this be a spin-off from the horrendous problems that Maxda 6 diesel owners are having with fuel getting into the sump, raising the oil level and wrecking the engine, in the long term? www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?v=e&t=77...7

Edited by Armitage Shanks {p} on 02/09/2009 at 14:50

>>Might this be a spin-off from the horrendous problems that Maxda 6 diesel owners
>>are having with fuel getting into the sump...

I must admit this was the thought in the back of my mind when the problem was first mentioned to me.

And on that basis, with the sheer number of FORDs rattling about with that engine, I had expected to either find some trace on t'internet in the enthusiast groups (Mondeo and Transit).

As that drew a blank, I posted here (having forum searched first), hoping for somebody who does things and knows what's what, or some poor victim of dubious design.

With all of the above being quiet, and now the apparent lack of problem anyway, I'm hoping it's the end of the issue...

Edited by Another John H on 02/09/2009 at 17:07

01 2.0 TDDI engine oil level increasing - jc2
Ford sold their shares in Mazda ages ago!!!

Edited by jc2 on 02/09/2009 at 17:12

01 2.0 TDDI engine oil level increasing - Galad
Ford sold their shares in Mazda ages ago!!!>>

But aren't they now joined at the hip by sharing the same engines and chassis's?
01 2.0 TDDI engine oil level increasing - Peter.N.
I thought at first this was a common rail engine but I believe that the TDDI is DI but with a conventional pump, so you could get leakage from the pump into the engine - anyway, irrelevant now.