What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Driver enraging - ianhadden
What about this for driver enraging, seen in Bexley, S. London?
The sign I'm talking about is "Give way to vehicles from other direction".
There was one in one direction, a bus stop, then one for the other direction.
It meant that when the bus was stopped the road was completely closed, as these signs are accompanied by a narrowing of the road.
Driver enraging - Lud
Building the pavement out into the road at bus stops is widespread all over London. It is supposed to make public transport more efficient by preventing cars from overtaking buses while they are stationary and then getting in their way further down the road.

Since there are bus lanes everywhere this has always seemed to me a step too far. The Livingstone regime in London made the place several grades more nightmarish without improving anything significantly.

Edited by Lud on 17/08/2009 at 16:16

Driver enraging - bathtub tom
I wondered why they've started doing that.

Lud's explanation makes sense, although it's still infuriating.
Driver enraging - schneip
A cynical attempt at 'traffic calming' in Ynysddu, South Wales (A4048).

Having seemingly exhausted their budget on speed bumps through Wattsville (the adjacent village), some bright spark on the council decided to stagger the parking on opposite sides of the road, in addition to having those kerbs/concrete islands that jump out into the road.

Problem? Oncoming drivers v.rarely actually slow at all, forcing through at speed and nearly taking your off-side front wing etc with them. Can't say I'd feel inclined to leave my car parked there either, but people do. Extra fun during Winter.
Driver enraging - daveyjp
One of our local routes has just grown such a kerb which sticks out across the carriageway and it has been joined by a priority sign.

This thing is right on the brow of a hill which leaves me wondering if putting obstructions on brows of hills is effective traffic calming why is parking on them still an offence?

Driver enraging - datostar
sq
They've done this on a blind bend near our local Sainsbury's. Being forced over on to the wrong side of the road on a bend with no visibility does not seem conducive to road safety at all. There are skid marks either side of the obstruction and regular arguments between drivers of cars nose to nose in the middle of it! Who are these people who dream up such idiocy?

Edited by Pugugly on 17/08/2009 at 17:35

Driver enraging - schneip
it! Who are these people who dream up such idiocy?

Seemingly people that just don't live in the real world - they assume people will actually realise there's a hazard and slow down!

I seem to be on the receiving end of it all the time, be it so called 'traffic calming' or people coming around a sharp corner just down the road from my house. There's often (illegally) parked cars oncoming drivers still come around too fast, on the wrong side of the road. No matter how easily I take it in 2nd gear, I've still often had to slam on my brakes because of some muppet seemingly not even aware of his actions. Occasonally I'll use my horn (not as a 'rebuke') but then the other driver seems oblivious to the fact they've just nearly caused an accident.
Driver enraging - ijws15
Just shows how many drivers there are out there that do not follow the highway code

i.e. Can you stop in the distance you can see???? If you cannot see past the ovbstruction and can't stop you are going too fast - only you to blame!
Driver enraging - Cliff Pope
Can you stop in the distance you can see???? If you cannot see past
the obstruction and can't stop you are going too fast - only you to blame!

That's a minimum requirement. Actually you need to be able to stop in the distance you can see to be clear, less the distance it would take a speeding idiot on the wrong side of the road to stop too.
Driver enraging - Lud
That's a minimum requirement.

speeding idiot on the wrong side of the road to stop too.

Yes. So it's better not to risk driving at all unless you're feeling lucky.
Driver enraging - Cliff Pope
Quite so Lud. It illustrates the impossibility of getting anywhere, in motoring as in life, if you don't break rules.

(PS My children failed to solve your Sarum riddle, but my brother got it in about 5 seconds)
Driver enraging - datostar
Just shows how many drivers there are out there that do not follow the highway
code
i.e. Can you stop in the distance you can see???? If you cannot see past
the ovbstruction and can't stop you are going too fast - only you to blame!

It's the others! The people who have the priority often assume that they can blat straight through, not realising that the poor person on the other side of the crazy obstruction can't see them. If it was someone's badly overgrown hedge or tree obstructing half a road they'd soon get a letter telling them to trim it back or failing that, a bill when the Council came to do it.