What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
06 1.6 Removing rear brake drums - IKM
I would appreciate some help on the tools required to remove the rear brake drums on the Focus II. On previously owned Fords I've removed the 4 hex head bolts holding the spindle carrier to the rear suspension and then removed the spindle assembly complete with brake drum. On this car the bolts are Torx head. Does any know the size of the Torx bit which fits these bolts? If I buy the correct size 1/2" drive Torx bit is there sufficient clearance to get to the bolts with standard 1/2" drive extension bars and universal joint?

I found this link relating to the Mk 1 Focus which is very detailed and shows the hex head bolts and better access on the previous model. www.focushacks.com/index.php?modid=48

Thanks
06 1.6 Removing rear brake drums - piston power
Most cars have these now to prevent most folk from touching, however if you buy the kit of them they usually come in short 3/8 drive or long in 1/2 drive draper do these in a box & not expensive under £25.00 when i got mine 6yrs ago.
06 1.6 Removing rear brake drums - MikeTorque
The Torx head screws are now used because they resist cam-out better than the Phillips or slot head types. Manufacturers prefer Torx screws as they use torque-limiting automatic screwdrivers.
06 1.6 Removing rear brake drums - IKM
Thanks for the replies. On further investigation a rear brake drum on this car can be removed by removing the wheel and the the grip washer on one of the wheel studs and then pulling the drum off over the studs. In practise this can be difficult due to corrosion on the brake drum and wheel hub but it can be done.