What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Road caves in half an hour after driving on it - Rattle
I am quite shocked by this, I drive downt his stretch of road about 2-3 times a week and is only 2.5 miles from where I live.

www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/s/1112627_hol...c

I drove down this just half an hour before, I remember being stuck in traffic behind a police van I just feel so lucky I set off when I did and if I didn't have a car there was a good chance I would have been on the bus which went over it :(

It is nice to see our raod tax goes on inspections to ensure roads don't just fall in.
Road caves in half an hour after driving on it - Old Navy
Soft southerners, our potholes are that size. :)
Road caves in half an hour after driving on it - midlifecrisis
Police are looking into it !!!!

(Sorry......someone had to say it!)
Road caves in half an hour after driving on it - jetta
Sounds like a water main or drain pipe failure under the road. Vibrations from traffic can cause them to fail.
Road caves in half an hour after driving on it - KB.
Just as a matter of interest, Rattle, what technology is it that you're aware of, that local authorities can utilise to routinely scan our roads and see that a collapse of this type is imminent? It certainly must have been disconcerting for you to have come quite close to being involved in the incident but you're obviously concerned about these inspections which haven't been carried out and I am intigued to know what form they take. I can imagine that a collapse of this nature can be caused by old excavations - old mining activity and the like and searches do take place when buying property, for example, to try to discover how likely it is that your house will cave in.....is it this you have in mind?
Road caves in half an hour after driving on it - ifithelps
Something similar happened in a street a few miles from me several years ago.

I recall the explanation was an un-mapped underground stream which washed away all the earth under the road leaving a Tarmac shell a few inches thick.

This collapsed when a bin wagon drove over it, leaving its rear wheels in the hole and at least one of the front ones in the air.

Road caves in half an hour after driving on it - astrabob
Must be quite common.

A couple of years ago the road collapsed under an HGV in Knutsford. If I remember, it took about 4 days for the road to be repaired and reopened. Again, it was an underground stream.
Not sure if any streams would have run under it, the Ball Brook is fairly close but it would have all been farms until the station was built (now bars because of that nice man Mr Beaching).

I very much doubt this area would have been used for mining it has been rural until the 1800's.

I will try and avoid the area for the next few days if I can.
Road caves in half an hour after driving on it - maz64
There's been road collapses in Reading due to old chalk mine tunnels caving in:
tinyurl.com/dlkagb (Reading Council)
Road caves in half an hour after driving on it - Alby Back
Two or three years ago I was washing the cars on our drive. Stepped back on to my lawn to get something and the lawn collapsed under me. Now my wife might say that there is rather more of me these days than is strictly necessary but that was quite a surprise. I dropped about 4 feet into what became a roughly 6 foot circular crater.

In the end it turned out that a water main passed under that section of my garden and a joint had been leaking for quite a long time eroding the area around the leak.

All it needed was a suitably.... um..... muscular....... sort of person to break the crust....

:-(

Edited by Humph Backbridge on 29/04/2009 at 20:18

Road caves in half an hour after driving on it - Pugugly
....now a water feature ? (the crater not you - although the mental image is quite "interesting")
Road caves in half an hour after driving on it - bathtub tom
You could knock up a toadstool to sit on and hold a fishing rod over the hole. ;>)
Road caves in half an hour after driving on it - Alby Back
Oh I know and enter my house for the "Ideal Gnome" exhibition...... I had them all at the time.

Almost worse was getting my foot stuck under the water pipe for long enough for a small audience to gather. Complete lack of sympathy and much mirth from family and neighbours.

:-(
Road caves in half an hour after driving on it - bell boy
maybe its a new escape route to leave that dump called manchester seeing as the roads are always chocca
Road caves in half an hour after driving on it - loskie
Who Ate All The Pies?
Road caves in half an hour after driving on it - CGNorwich
The bus went over it? Nothing by Norfolk standards then. Our holes swallow buses.

tiny.cc/ic33x

That is because Norfolk was built farmers with a funny accent - *runs and hides*

I think hole got worse when the bus went over it but the article is a little bit vague. I did want to see the hole for myself but the road is very small and is a main road into the village so that area will be kaos so I am avoiding it.
Road caves in half an hour after driving on it - spikeyhead {p}
I've an acquaintance that earns a good living from mending collapsed sewers. Road hole size is usually measured in double decker buses.
Road caves in half an hour after driving on it - henry k
I live with travelling almost every day over major major groups of old very big water mains. Several have exploded over the years and caused significant damage in our area. I would expect lift off if in the wrong place at the wrong time.
I do not loose any sleep about it :-)

This is what a 150 year old burst 48 inch main can cause ...
More than 50 people were forced to evacuate their homes.
13 families are still in temporary accommodation). Thames Water expected them to be there another 3 - 6 months.
More than 10.5 million litres of water were lost in the burst.
Water to 17,000 properties was cut off.
The main carries approximately 85 million litres each day to customers between Walton and Brixton.

Road caves in half an hour after driving on it - henry k
Rattle
Here is the video replay of part of what you missed.
news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/8025935.stmr

How it might have been :-(
news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/7391071.stm
Road caves in half an hour after driving on it - maz64
Here is the video replay of part of what you missed.
news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/8025935.stmr

Page not found?
Road caves in half an hour after driving on it - Statistical outlier
Page not found?

Knock off the final r and it works fine

news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/8025935.stm

Edited by Gordon M on 30/04/2009 at 13:00

Road caves in half an hour after driving on it - David Horn
Call that a pothole? The ones on my road have now reached the point where the car scrapes as it goes over them. And it's a VW Passat!

The council have solved the problem by painting white circles around them, which means that the car will now magically float over the top...
Road caves in half an hour after driving on it - L'escargot
The council have solved the problem by painting white circles around them which means that
the car will now magically float over the top...

Our council is somewhat more efficient than that. They've employed a company specifically to fill in holes and carry out other minor road maintenance. The company has allocated about 14 employees to this work, and there's a telephone hotline to ring when we spot something which needs attention.
Road caves in half an hour after driving on it - Old Navy
I reported a drain cover that had collapsed to about 8" below the road surface to the council, it was difficult to avoid as it was near a traffic island. A couple of weeks later a bodge repair was done to taper the edge of the depression. I was about to complain when my OH came in to say "They are digging up the drain you were moaning about". It is now flush with the road surface and properly repaired. Almost restores your faith in the system, Naahhh, they were "doing" our area anyway.
Road caves in half an hour after driving on it - quizman
There are pictures of the hole in the road that Rattle mentioned on page 23 of today's Daily Mail. In the top left picture there is a blue Corsa. Is this your new car Rattle?