What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
rover 416 - terry
travelling along motorway cam belt went. The car has the Honda engine is it worth changing cam belt to see if engine okay ? or is it an engine re-build only car only worth £600

Terry
rover 416 - Toad, of Toad Hall.
travelling along motorway cam belt went. The car has the Honda
engine is it worth changing cam belt to see if engine
okay ? or is it an engine re-build only car only
worth £600

When I did the new blet on my 1.4 K-series thay reckoned a snapped belt bent three valves and was a 700 quid job.

'Course the 1.6 isn't a k-series.

A second hand head can't be a fortune can it?

--
Parp, Parp!
Note: All Toad posts come with an implied smiley.
rover 416 - Adam Going (Tune-Up)
Terry,

The Honda engine is identified by Autodata Cambelt Manual as an "interference engine, where valve/piston contact is most likely to occur in event of a cambelt failure". I have never seen one that has NOT damaged at least the valves, and at least one where a piston was also damaged. Might be worth lifting the head to check it out, but as Toad says a second hand head is your best bet if you want to get it going again.

Regards, Adam
rover 416 - Dizzy {P}
Seems like wise advice from Toad and Adam.

You will be able to see the tops of the pistons when you have the head off. Pistons don't usually break or crack as a result of collisions with valves and I don't think there will be any need for concern if there are a few indentations.
rover 416 - Toad, of Toad Hall.
I don't
think there will be any need for concern if there are
a few indentations.

Although there's a tax issue if the indentation moves you over a VED bracket!

--
Parp, Parp!
Note: All Toad posts come with an implied smiley.
rover 416 - Phil I
Good thinking ToTH. Now we need one of our smarter people to come up with a formula for calculating capacity of small dents in pistons.:-)

Happy Motoring Phil I