What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Honda to stop diesel development? - andyfr
I saw an article in one of the weekly auto magazines saying that Honda are going to stop development of diesel engines in 5 years. I only had a brief look and I can't remember which mag it was.

Anyone else see this?

If it's true then I'm really surprised. The 2.2 in our CR-V is a lovely engine.
Honda to stop diesel development? - Pica
I saw this but it was on a USA site and they were talking about stopping developing diesel engines on their larger models as they don't see how they can meet the stringent emission regulations with the diesels.
Honda to stop diesel development? - Bill Payer
This is a common thing - it's becoming increasingly difficult (ie expensive) for manufacturers to produce diesel engines that meet each wave of emissions regulations.

The 5 years is because EU6 is scheduled for 2014.
Honda to stop diesel development? - bell boy
yes
how many times can you split an atom exactly
the eu and californ I A wont be happy till china is telling us what to do seeing as we are going down the path of unsustainability and they are building rovers with a devil may care (irrespective of what it says in their press releases)
Honda to stop diesel development? - valmiki
this weeks 'Auto Express'

also the next column mentioned how great Mazda's next generation diesel engines were going to be (IIRC, was speed-reading in 'Smiths!)
Honda to stop diesel development? - andyfr
this weeks 'Auto Express' (IIRC was speed-reading in 'Smiths!)

Snap! Yes that's what I was doing as well. :) I couldn't remember if it was Auto Express or Autocar as they are virtually identical mags.
Honda to stop diesel development? - craig-pd130

Emissions reduction from cars is all very well, but there has to be a level playing field.

For example, emissions from shipping is more or less unregulated. One large ocean-going container ship can emit almost the same amount of cancer and asthma-causing chemicals per year as 50m cars.

A recent report of confidential data from maritime industry insiders (reported in most national papers earlier this month) based on engine size and the quality of fuel typically used by ships and cars showed that just 15 of the world's biggest ships emit as much pollution (SOx, NOx and particulates) as ALL of the world's 760m cars.

Low-grade ship bunker fuel (or fuel oil) has up to 2,000 times the sulphur content of diesel fuel used in US and European automobiles. And the majority of pollution happens within 250 miles of major land masses (Europe, Americas etc)

I'm not saying stop emissions control on cars. But why squeeze them hard when other pollution sources are allowed to get away free?

Honda to stop diesel development? - DP
But why squeeze them hard when other pollution sources are allowed to get away free?

Because cars tend to be owned by individuals, and the likes of ships, aircraft and factories by big companies with significant legal resources, and senior board members in influential places.

Individuals are far easier to manipulate.

Edited by DP on 24/04/2009 at 10:38

Honda to stop diesel development? - craig-pd130

Indeed.
Honda to stop diesel development? - diddy1234
plus governments love to screw over their own population.

"there is nothing like greed and control to make the top man feel good"
Honda to stop diesel development? - jetta
What I don't understand is why every hybrid electric car has a gas engine. A small turbo-diesel would be far more efficient than a gas engine in that application.
Honda to stop diesel development? - 659FBE
Of course it would, but it wouldn't be saleable in all markets.

You don't expect politicians to understand the Laws of Physics and wisely incorporate these into legislation, surely?

Edited by 659FBE on 24/04/2009 at 15:31

Honda to stop diesel development? - boxsterboy
PSA's diesel-hybrid is due in a year or so I believe?
Honda to stop diesel development? - Tornadorot
What I don't understand is why every hybrid electric car has a gas engine. A
small turbo-diesel would be far more efficient than a gas engine in that application.

Some small turbo-diesel engines are already more efficient that petrol-electric hybrids: compare the CO2 figures for the Polo BlueMotion, Ibiza Ecomotive or Fiesta Econetic to the Toyota Pious, er, Prius or Civic IMA.
Honda to stop diesel development? - boxsterboy
And of course hybrids were originally developed with the US market in mind, where 95% of car drivers don't even know about diesel-engined automobiles.
Honda to stop diesel development? - Statistical outlier
Hybrids were designed for the US and to be *clean*, not efficient. The efficient thing is mostly marketing spin. For town use a petrol hybrid is quite a good thing IMO.
Honda to stop diesel development? - b308
For town use a petrol hybrid is quite a good thing

Thats very debatable, better than what, the same car with just a petrol engine perhaps?

It more depends on how its driven... a hybrid can be just as bad a non-hybrid... how many people actually know how to drive one for maximum efficiency...

And actually do?!
Honda to stop diesel development? - diddy1234
I pass plenty of the gutless things when going up steep hills in my diesel car.

I think a good diesel is more eco friendly and efficient than any current hybrid
Honda to stop diesel development? - MikeTorque
The Fiat MultiAir system is a serious contender to be the top system for a number of fuel options, including petrol and diesel, as well alternative-fuels, the petrol engined version is due out later this year.
Honda to stop diesel development? - nortones2
I don't think its the technology that makes them "gutless", but the choice of output. After all there are plenty of gutless diesels. The Lexus that swept by me out of a corner some while ago was a hybrid: I wasn't flat out but it was an impressive turn of speed that was mustered.