What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Type Approval - help needed - jwisedup
Please can anyone help?
I am trying to register an L200 in the UK that was originally registered and used in Southern Ireland.
It?s described on the registration certificate as an L200 CREW CAB 4DR. It?s a 2.5 diesel and was first registered in February 2002.
The chassis number, I am told, shows that it is not a ?grey import?.
DVLA want evidence of ?Type Approval?.
Mitsubishi in Ireland can supply me with Type Approval numbers for Emissions, Brakes and Noise, but not one number for the whole vehicle.
After a lot of back and forth the local DVLA office are now saying I need to take it for an SVA test and, because it was not me who lived and used it in Ireland, some curt woman at VOSA says it has to have an SVA [enhanced] at the cost of £190.
Am I the only person who thinks that?s ridiculous?? It has just passed an MOT test which shows it is road legal for here.
Does anyone have any experience of this? Does anyone have that magic ?Type Approval? number? Do I have to just give in to bureaucracy gone mad?

Type Approval - help needed - Number_Cruncher
Sorry, no magic numbers, but,

>>It has just passed an MOT test which shows it is road legal for here.

That doesn't logically follow. It's entirely possible for an illegal vehicle to pass an MOT.

Yes, it's a legal requirement to have a valid MOT certificate,

but,

a valid MOT certificate does not necessarily indicate that a vehicle complies with all aspects of the law.

Type Approval - help needed - rtj70
The vehicle will have been cheap if imported so the SVA test is not much is it? Pay it and move on? You probably saved anyway.
Type Approval - help needed - gordonbennet
It doesn't always end there either, insurance companies are likely to regard the vehicle as a 'grey' and some will not quote, though this situation has improved in the last few years others tell me.
NFU were much more in tune with the situation if you have difficulty as many farmers have bought similar 'grey' vehicles like yours, they are good for these vehicles anyway.

It was bad enough getting my Avensis regd that came from Northern Ireland, just one of those ludicrous bureaucratic things.

Good luck with the test.
Type Approval - help needed - jc2
If it was originally sold as a commercial vehicle(N1),it will not have a WVTA(whole vehicle type approval);only issued to passenger(M1) vehicles.The DVLA appear to be correct in this instance.
Type Approval - help needed - jc2
And,if it is a N1 vehicle,you must not exceed 56 mph. in it.
Almost sorry I asked now. It gets worse and I was only buying it to help someone out of a bad situation. Does anyone think it's worth pursuing or shall I drive it back to Ireland and flog it?
Sorry - in my moment of 'Oh hell - wish I'd never started' I forgot to say thank you for the replies. Thank you.
This has certainly been a learning curve for me and I think I will have to keep going now as I have already spent money on it. Hopefully it will be worth it in the end and I wasn't intending to rally in it although I very much doubt the previous owner kept to 56mph!
Any other hints, tips or gems of wisdom will be gratefully received.