What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
car insurance payout - S.Young
I have recently had my car stolen - it was an R reg (1997) Honda Civic 1.5 Vtec 5 door, and had done aprox 47,000 miles.

I am wondering if there is anything I should be aware of when trying to get the best pay out from the insurance company, It had a full service history and had just been taxed and MOT as well as having a new exhaust and Brake pads. Should I accept the first offer I get from them or is possible to haggle and get a better one. Aprox, how much should I expect to get from them?
Cheers.
car insurance payout - BrianW
?? Can you get the DVLA to cancel and refund the tax disc if your car is stolen??

Anybody know?
car insurance payout - Dynamic Dave
Never accept an insurance companies first offer. It will be the lowest. Always haggle for more.

Can't advise on what offer you would expect to get from them, apart from no more than market value. The fact that you've had new parts fitted won't make any difference. They are general wear and tear items and you had them fitted to keep the car in a roadworthy condition.
car insurance payout - Godfrey H {P}
Establish what your car would cost to replace at retail price. Look in dealer ads in local newspapers and the books you can buy in the newspagents. Many motoring web sites will also offer online car valuation, but make sure what type of valuation they are making e.g. trade in or retail price. Main Honda dealer prices will probably be at the top end of the scale so don't expect to get that much from your insurance company. After you have established what your car is really worth don't accept substantially less. A recent case aired on a local consumer programme highlighted the case of person who was offered auction price for their car by a very well known insurance company. The person concerned rejected the offer pointing this out. It wasn't until the local radio station became involved that they came up to retail price. Lastly Good Luck!
car insurance payout - Stuart M
> "Many motoring web sites will also offer online car valuation"

Godfrey - do you happen to know any of these sites, as I would be interested in trying one for myself!
car insurance payout - Godfrey H {P}
Stuart,two off the top of my head:

www.whatcar.co.uk

www.topgear.com

Also, do a search on google for Glass's Guide. It's out there somewhere I just can't recall where.

G.H.
car insurance payout - Dynamic Dave
www.parkers.co.uk

www.tradeyourcar.co.uk/sistersites/ukmd/carsearchU...p

www.glass.co.uk/
car insurance payout - Stuart M
Thanks chaps...

Stuart