What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
06 2.0TDCi - noisy tickover, is this normal? - baronoff
I have a Mondeo Tdci 130 lx which is very noisy when ticking over is this normal.As this is my first diesel .I have never owned anything to compare it to.Any feedback would be welcome.Thanks

{Header amended}

Edited by Pugugly on 29/01/2009 at 17:11

06 2.0TDCi - Noisy Tickover, is this normal? - GingerTom
It would help if you could describe the noise.

These engines are pretty quiet with regards to the old diesel rattle but they are known for faulty pulley belt and tensioners which create a noise and need dealer attention.

Faulty injectors can also create a rattle noise.

You will read more about this on the mondeo enthusiasts website.
06 2.0TDCi - Noisy Tickover, is this normal? - rtj70
My Mondeo 130PS TDCi sounded noisy at tickover. I'd refer to it as a tractor type sound but actually it's a Transit diesel sound.... but then the engine block is shared with the one in Transit vans. On the move it was more refined.

My Mondeo was a lot louder at idle and low revs than my Mazda6 CR diesel.
06 2.0TDCi - Noisy Tickover, is this normal? - Monsieur Kev
Is the tickover uneven, especially when cold?

Here are a few easy things to do:

1. Check the Mass Air Flow sensor. It should be cleaned if dirty. Be careful though as you must not touch it. There is a special spray for this.

2. The EGR valves are notorious for getting filthy and gunged up. Clean with WD40 and the manifold too as far as you can. Alternatively replace egr

3. Change to a good quality 5/40 synthetic oil. This really cushions the engine sound.

4. Use SHELL V Power or BP Ulitimate diesel. Good for another 5 or 6 bhp too.

5. Remove catalytic converter and buy a stainless steel decat pipe. £68.50 on EBAY inc postage.

Edited by Monsieur Kev on 30/01/2009 at 20:49

06 2.0TDCi - noisy tickover, is this normal? - baronoff
Thank you all for your assistance with my problem