What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
02 1.6 heat shield - donwendy
the heat shield (at least that is what i think it is!) on my focus has come loose in 1 place. It makes a rattling sound when I am in a low gear. Does this need to be fixed ASAP - how much damage is it doing to my car ? and is it a big job?
Thanks
02 1.6 heat shield - bsm
Hi,
Depending on the shape, it may be possible to retain the heat shield to pipe with a Jubilee clip ( or two joined together ). This was successful for several years on a Rover I had.

Regards,
Mo
02 1.6 heat shield - Viz
I have the same problem on my 2001 Focus.

It looks like the shield has corroded around the screwfixings holding it in place.

When I had a recent service I made them aware. The guy working on my car said he would remove the screw and place a larger piece of metal between the sheild and screw, like a giant washer. It works fine.
02 1.6 heat shield - mfarrow
Aluminium and steel don't like each other, hence when they get hot one corrodes the other.

I'd put a large stainless washer between the shield and the nut/screw, and use some high temperature grease on the interface as well.

You may, though, be presently surprised at the price of a new shield. About £15 for a Corsa anyway.
02 1.6 heat shield - bathtub tom
Tin foil (available from most kitchens) can be an acceptable alternative.