What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
00 1.4 Main Beam switch intermittent - tyre tread
The main beam switch on a friends Fiesta has become intermittent in that sometimes when you push the lights stalk forward all of the headlights go out.

I bought 2 replacements from Ebay and both had the same problem so it seems like its a common one.

I have dismantled one of the stalk sets and can see how everything switches apart from the man beam.

Does anyone know how the maon beam switch is acivated or can supply me with details from the wiring diagram please.

This is driving me nuts!
00 1.4 Main Beam switch intermittent - jc2
I had a similar concern,changed switches and no better;turned out to be a loose fuse.Does the headlight flasher work??
The flasher (pull towards) works fine but the lock on main beam (push away) is the intermittent problem.

Where is the fuse located? Fusebox?

I have no handbook or manual for this car unfortunately.
00 1.4 Main Beam switch intermittent - mfarrow
The switch is designed to flick from dipped beam to full beam when the stick is thrown forward. It uses very simple electrical logic to ensure the dipped beams stay on when you use the flasher, all of which is done internally. Therefore if there was a problem with the circuitry in the car, you would expect the flasher to be intermittant as well. Is there a possibility you've got 3 duds? Is one any more reliable than the other?

Fuses to check are number 49 (20A) and 50 (25A), which I think are in a fusebox under the driver's side dash; and the relays VI and V in the junction box at the back right of the engine bay.

Edited by mfarrow on 08/01/2009 at 22:15

I have completely stripped one of the switch mechanisms and it appears that the switching is done by a very simple set of physical contacts that move across the printed circuit board as the lever (stalk) is moved in the various directions.

The only connection I can't figure out using visual tracking of the runs on the circuit board or with a meter, is the main bean switching. If I can see a wiring diagram I am pretty sure I can figure it out in 5 mins.

The original set of switches were occasionally switching all lights off when you pushed back to lock on main beam and the 2 replacements are worse.

I would have thought it unlikely to get 2 replacements that were faulty unless there is a common & known fault on these switch sets, hence my post on here.

Edited by tyre tread on 09/01/2009 at 14:04

00 1.4 Main Beam switch intermittent - Rattle
I've had three Fiestas which use the same stalks and never had this problem so I would suggest it not a common problem although my mates Fiesta needed a new stalk for his MOT I don't know why.
After much meter work and thinking it was the wiring/plug in the car beacuse it worked perfectly when the plug was held hard in place, it turned out to be the printed circuit board was moving slightly by flexing (in all 3 sets) and causing an intermitttent contact inside the stalk pod.

Packed it out with some cardboard to stiffen it against the casing and it works fine.

Good ob it only took me 3 days of playing with it to work this out.