What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
1998 2.0ES - standard radio has defeated me! - slickric
I have a honda accord 1998-99 bose sound system(standard).
I cannot find ANYWHERE an adaptor that will suit my new head unit which i got for xmas.
There seems to be no problem getting an adaptor 'without a bose unit' or non-Bose systems for this car.

Thanks for your time.
Riccardo

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 06/01/2009 at 13:45

standard radio has defeated me! - David Horn
Hi Riccardo,

Short answer is the one you're not going to like. It's virtually impossible to change the standard fit Bose head unit. It's hard-wired in with amplifiers scattered throughout the car and you have to pull half the dash to pieces to get the old radio out anyway.

I was in this situation myself and resorted to using an MP3 player though a cassette adapter, which is not ideal!

My advice would be to sell your new head unit and invest the money in either a CD changer or a Parrot Bluetooth kit which will take music from a phone, and get it professionally fitted. You can get the original head unit out, but it's a hack-and-slash job and you'll lose the great Bose sound.

Sorry not to be of more help,

Dave.
standard radio has defeated me! - rtj70
Riccardo, can you provide details of the car, i.e. model, year etc. If you'd posted into technical to begin with you would have been prompted for these. I know you say the stereo is 98-98 but being more specific would be helpful.

Thanks

Rob (Moderator)

Edited by rtj70 on 06/01/2009 at 12:55

standard radio has defeated me! - slickric

2.0 ES
11/1998

Bose system in a single din but.Sat nav is away from any connections
Also has built in amp(standard)
cd unit in the boot
blue adaptor that requires a male adaptor has 12 pins in the centre with 4 not in use either side (20 holes)
standard radio has defeated me! - 2000accordowner
had the same problem my friend, could not find a simple plug adaptor. had to cut the wires and solder them together, unfortunely was only able to link up the 4 speakers in the door panels, left the ones in the boot and the sub (assume that what it is) unconnected. Took a few hours as there was a bit of a process of elimation finding out what wires connected to what speaker!! had to take each door panel off! to see what colour wires were leading in (as i couldnt find a wiring diagram online either)

Great though now have ipod plugged in and a bluetooth handfrees system. good luck!!!