What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
New Fiesta dilemma - denmilford
The new Fiesta could suit my requirements well. My problem is that the Zetec version offers neither the option of the 1.6 petrol engine nor the driver's lumbar support adjustment while the Titanium comes with 16" wheels and 195/45 tyres which I suspect are ill-suited to the badly-maintained country lanes and secondary roads which make up most of my journeys.

It doesn't look as though the higher profile tyres of the Zetec (15" wheels, 195/50 tyres) are available as an option on the Titanium.

Comfort is the priority rather than the ultimate in road-holding. Any views, especially from anyone with experience of the new Fiesta? Perhaps I'm being over-nervous about the low-profile tyres?
New Fiesta dilemma - RobertyBob
This is spooky. You are not alone.

We too are considering a new Fiesta but the inability to specify the 1.6 petrol in 5 door Zetec trim is causing us to rethink.
New Fiesta dilemma - MikeTorque
The 1.4 Zetec has 96ps and goes pretty well and has 15"x6" 195/50 wheels/tyres.
The suspension is the same on the Zetec and Titanium models, it's the Zetec S that has the lower sports suspension.

If you really want the 1.6 Vi-VCT then only the Titanium is currently available, the slightly lower profile tyres (195/45) help to deal with the 120 ps power output, although the Zetec model is scheduled for additional engine options some time in the future.
New Fiesta dilemma - rtj70
In these times I would at least ask a dealer.... they might be able to swap wheels for a sale.

But it would count as a modification for insurance purposes.

Me... I would try the larger wheels to see if the ride is okay and try for a deal.
New Fiesta dilemma - boxsterboy
the slightly lower profile tyres (195/45) help to deal with the 120 ps power output

>>

I can't believe that!
the Zetec model is scheduled for additional engine options some time in the future.

>>

I can believe that!
New Fiesta dilemma - oldgit
This is happening a lot to models in the Ford range et.al. to be fair. If I were to buy a new Focus the one I'd prefer, because of good level of standard trim unfortunately comes with so-called sports suspension and low profile tyres, neither of which I want.
And I don't think that you can have other wheels because of Insurance implications and speedo accuracy etc.

Edited by oldgit on 05/01/2009 at 08:52

New Fiesta dilemma - bathtub tom
I doubt if you'd notice the difference between 45% and 50% aspect ratio.

I reckon they'd both give much too hard a ride for me.
New Fiesta dilemma - jc2
If the suspension has been designed with those tyres in mind,you should not have problems;most concerns occur when people fit "low" profile wheels/tyres onto vehicles not designed for them.I have 50-profiles on one of my cars and no problems with hard ride.But back to the original question-back in 96,I bought a 1.8D. five door Fiesta Ghia-this came as standard with A/C and double locking-when I tried to replace it,the 5-door diesel was no longer offered in Ghia,only in L and you could not add the extras to bring it up to the spec. I wanted.
New Fiesta dilemma - tawse
I went and had a look at the new Fiesta today. After the Fire Brigade had spent an hour prising me out of the driver's seat I concluded that the new Fiesta was way too small for me. I suspect children under the age of 12 should be small enough to drive it.

Years ago I used to be able to at least drive the Fiesta of 10 years plus back but what is it with modern superminis - they just keep getting smaller and smaller. Surely a time will come when no-one will be able to fit in one but, boy, won't they boast about the MPG!

:-)

New Fiesta dilemma - Bill Payer
what is it with modern superminis - they just keep getting
smaller and smaller.

I don't recall hearing that before. Many people complain about how cars generally are bigger these days - isn't Polo now bigger than the original Golf, and Focus bigger than original Cortina (etc)?

Edited by Bill Payer on 05/01/2009 at 16:34

New Fiesta dilemma - oldgit
Yes, our friend seems to contradict modern findings. Practically all new superminis have larger external dimensions to their predecessors, the new Fiesta being no exception.

This is annoying to me, as we want,as usual, to garage our current Fiesta's replacement. The only car, that seems to have similar external width is the current VW Polo.

Anyway the interior design/look of the new Fiesta is rather too flambuoyant and gimmicky for my liking - it will soon look out of date.
New Fiesta dilemma - Avant
Interesting slant on specifications here. BMW (particularly MINI) are much reviled for 'everything being extra' but the upside is that you can specify what you want and not what you don't, and there aren't combinations you can't have.

We didn't want the cosmetic packages for either of SWMBO's Minis - just aircon, trip computer, sunroof and parking sensors. This was no problem, and these are useful accessories that helped ensure that the first Mini was still worth 80 % of its cost after 21 months (we only changed so soon as it was on a 2-year PCP deal).

New Fiesta dilemma - Bill Payer
... there aren't combinations you can't have.

I recall seeing lots of complaints about BMW (and MINI, I think?) that it's difficult to avoid run-flat tyres, for example.
New Fiesta dilemma - Avant
No runflats as standard in ours (Cooper) - I think they are on the Cooper S, although you're probably right about Bavarian BMWs.
New Fiesta dilemma - Pugugly
Yes - it became rather silly before I left the brand. I may go back one day though and runflats probably wouldn't put me off.
Sorry, let me clarify. I was not meaning the outside specs of the car which, I agree, is getting bigger like many superminis. I was referring to the cockpit behind the steering wheel.

Whilst I was trying to get out of mine there was a sardine by the Fiesta next to me being shoe-horned into it! :-)
New Fiesta dilemma - rtj70
So you admit to being too big for the inside of super minis? I know someone nearly a foot taller than me that could drive a FIAT Seicento.

Edited by rtj70 on 05/01/2009 at 23:41

It is the thigh bone - from kneecap to hip is lonnnnnnnnnnnng. :-)
New Fiesta dilemma - ole cruiser
I'm with Tawse. Haven't looked at the new Fiesta but the previous/current one was simply impossible for me - couldn't really get my legs under the steering wheel.
More on the new Fiesta :-

My friendly Ford dealer admits that the standard 16" wheels on the Titanium with their very low profile tyres might not be the best idea for use on rough roads. He holds out the notion of switching to smaller wheels after purchase for "only" about 500 pounds (!).

By going to the French Ford website I've discovered that 15" wheels can be an option on the Titanium version there and, by the way, there's a Ghia version too. Why does Ford UK have to be different?

Deliberations continue....
New Fiesta dilemma - Bagpuss
Why does Ford UK have to be different?

I guess the Ford marketing gurus have decided that UK buyers favour the "sporty" variants and have adjusted the specs accordingly. Both the Titanium and Ghia here in Germany have 15" wheels as standard.

Won't affect us though, my wife couldn't see out of the new Fiesta, rear vision especially is diabolical.
Thank you HJ but although the tyre specs you quote are true for the Fiesta range they do not apply to the individual trim levels. The Titanium is available only on 16s (two versions, a 15 spoke or at extra cost, 7 spoke) or a 17 (extra cost again but out of the question anyway). The Zetec comes on 15s with a 16 as an option.

About the 1.6 petrol engine, I suppose I don't really need it but I noticed that in another place a certain Jeremy fairly raved about it - "a smoothness you simply don't expect... and 118bhp". he found the car, a Titanium, comfortable too and he's quite a big bloke I believe, bigger than me anyway.

I'm not keen on a diesel for my low mileage use.

Maybe I'll retreat to the 1.4 petrol Zetec, it was mainly the adjustable lumbar support option, available on the Titanium only, which led me towards the top-of-the-range.

Or maybe I'll forget the whole Fiesta thing and do as Mrs Denmilford would like and go for the Golf. But then I can't have the Quickclear windscreen I love.... Which brings me back to the Focus.

I think I need to go and lie down, I'm so confused!

Thank you Bagpuss, I'll examine rearwards vision when (if) I get to a test drive next week.
New Fiesta dilemma - daveyjp
If it's available on line watch this weeks 5th gear. There's a head to head test etween the Fiesta and the new Ibiza, including reversing in between two cars - supermarket parking style. Rear visbility in the Ibiza isn't brilliant, in the Fiesta it's terrible.

My dad has driven the new Fiesta and despite him retiring he knows it would be unsuitable for him to teach anyone to drive in. Fiestas used to have large rear windows which went right to the edges of the tailgate and below the parcel shelf - very useful when learning to reverse round corners. The new one has very wide C pillars making the rear window more like a letterbox.

New Fiesta dilemma - tyro
I was in a Ford showroom the other day, and had a look at the Fiesta and the Ka. The Fiesta interior felt cramped to me, and the the windows are rather small. The Mark III Fiesta might not have been a great driver's car, but it felt more spacious, and the rear windows were much bigger. Obviously it's impossible to judge what the new Fiesta is like until one has driven the thing, but first impressions were not that positive.

The new Ka did look better, but I think I'd rather have a Panda or a 500 if I was in the market for a small car.
New Fiesta dilemma - tyro
Just to add to the OP's point, I was reading a review of the new Fiesta the other day, and the writer was seriously critical of the Titanium spec because it was only available with 16" wheels for 195/45 tyres.

He said that it ruined the ride and said that 15" wheels with 195/50 tyres were the ones to go for.
Update from the OP: I testdrove a Zetec on 15" wheels and the ride was quite firm enough for me. So I've ordered the Titanium and will have 15s put on it at once as was suggested way back in this thread by rtj70 - thanks. The dealer will eBay the 16s and credit me.

It'll be just my luck if Ford has a change of mind and offers 15" wheels with the Titanium soon but never mind, I've avoided today's price hike and obtained a reasonable discount too.
New Fiesta dilemma - L'escargot
So I've ordered the Titanium and will have 15s put
on it at once ...........

You may be making a rash assumption that the Titanium will not be sufficiently comfortable for you with the standard wheels and tyres. The only way to find out is to test drive a Titanium. Ride comfort depends on many things other than just wheels and tyres ~ seats, springs, dampers etc etc ~ and I'm sure the combined effect will make the Titanium the most comfortable of the range. The Titanium (formerly called Ghia) variants of all Ford models have always been the most comfortable.
rear vision
especially is diabolical.

Most people seem to favour style over practicality. I'm the exact opposite.
Thanks l'escargot: I haven't given any irrevocable instruction about the wheels so I'll try it on the supplied 16s when it arrives. There simply wasn't a Titanium available to test drive at the time. If I'd insisted upon trying one I'd have been caught by yesterday's price rise.

Rear visibility is certainly not the best but I would say that "diabolical" is putting it a bit strong. I've specified the sensors.
I've specified the sensors.

Good thinking. You won't regret it.