What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
1999 1.8 Gearbox question ? - jp147
I own a 1999 Ford Focus 1.8 (petrol) 77k miles, and wondered how many miles or how long the ib5 manual transmission should last.

Thanks

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 10/12/2008 at 18:27

1999 1.8 IB5 gearbox longevity - mfarrow
That would depend on how it's been driven, and what's wrong with it?
1999 1.8 IB5 gearbox longevity - jp147
Can you please explain what you mean by "how it's been driven" and what sort of things would damage it - thanks.
1999 1.8 IB5 gearbox longevity - mfarrow
Applying full power and/or being jerky on the clutch can cause as much damage to the gearbox as the engine/clutch (mainly bearings or gears). Agressive driving like a boy racer is never good. Driving with a faulty clutch which is binding can wear the synchromesh/baulk rings. Driving it with an oil leak and not topping it up will wear everything.
1999 1.8 IB5 gearbox longevity - jc2
Driven properly, it will last as long as the rest of the car.
1999 1.8 IB5 gearbox longevity - Peter.N.
Insufficient pausing between gears is the chief killer of synchro's, boy racer getaways don't improve it either but I would think that the clutch would give out first. Its possible that a mechanical defect could cause its early demise, but as already been stated it should last the life of the car. I have had cars with good gearboxes at well over 200k. It would help if we knew exaxctly what was wrong with it.