What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
2.2 Tdci saloon - running costs? - Colin J
Is there anyone on the forum got a mondeo 2.2. 150 bhp tdci saloon, if so could they tell me what the running costs are like i.e. are they pretty good on diesel.

{header made less vague}

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 08/12/2008 at 13:01

2.2 Tdci saloon - running costs? - Jono_99
I have the estate version - '56 plate, 2 years old. Just had its second service - another £99 at the local dealer.

Fuel - our computer is saying 40mpg at present, and brim to brim checks confirm that. It gets stuck with a mixture of short trips and long (50:50 of journeys, 30:70 in miles), so I am pretty pleased. On a run, it will do almost 50mpg - we got 45 mpg over the summer, 5 up and full on a trip to the south of france and back.

mine uses no oil or coolant, and apart from tyres (mine is tittanium x with 18" rims) which it consumes at about 15k on the front, there has been nothing to do from year to year.

As with all makes, there are some lemons out there - we appear to have a good 'un, and are very pleased with it.

Jono
2.2 Tdci saloon - running costs? - lovehandles
I also have a 2.2 Tdci Mondeo Ghia X estate on 05 plate.

I get an average of circa 43 mpg going to work and around town (climate turned off) - when going on longer runs (motorways) I have got almost 60 mpm but that was driving at around 65 mph with one other passenger.

Typical motorway runs with family (5 of us) seems to be around 50 mpm.

I bought the car from Motorpoint at 10 months old and 7,100 miles - just coming up to 57,000 miles.

I have the oil changed every 4,000 miles and services (Skipton Ford) at the correct intervals.

Had a major problem at about 35,000 miles - needed 4 new injectors under warranty.

Since then nothing has gone wrong and all in all I am very happy - I hope to run it for years so am keeping my fingers crossed that the injector issues dont return !!

Not sure that it helps but I only use BP Ultimate diesel and also add Millers - perhaps its overkill but I dont want another £2k repair bill now its out of warranty.

Matt
2.2 Tdci saloon - running costs? - Jono_99
Lovehandles,

Apologies for the hi-jack, but a couple of questions....
I have the oil changed every 4 000 miles and services (Skipton Ford) at the
correct intervals.

Wow - am all for frequent oil changes, but that strikes me as super keen - have you had bad experience from lack of oil change, or is your view that this engine will benefit from such frequent changes?

Your fuel figures sound about right - Mrs Jono does not drive at 65 on the motorway, and the a/c is always on.....

Jono
Hi Jono

As an Engineer it seems sensible to me to change as frequently as possible - the main service interval is every 12k so it was either 4k or 6k for the oil change interval !

I want to keep the car for as long as possible so I am prepared to pay the £70 my main dealer charges for oil and oil filter change.

This is my first private car since coming off my company car scheme - I get the pink fluffy dice taken out of me by my mates but "he who laughs last, laughs longest" as they say !

I travel to USA a great deal on business and over there its fairly normal to get the oil changed at 3 - 4k.

I also got the gear box oil changed at the first 12 month service and every 2 years since then.

And I never take it above 2000 rpm until it is at temperature - on my 14 mile drive to work each morning I boot it to 4500 rpm in 2nd and 3rd out of a roundabout to clear out anything !!

Matt

Edited by Webmaster on 09/12/2008 at 00:37

Forgot to mention tyres - I got 33 k out of the original Michelin Pilot Primacy fronts and 47k out of the rears.

Now use Kumho and the fronts are fairly low and will be changed in January.

The tyres are 205/50 R17 93W - very expensive for the Michelin - about £160 each from memory.

The Kumho's are about £90 each - am more than happy with their performance.

Matt
2.2 Tdci saloon - running costs? - zarqon
Great car.

I had one for a daily commute Cheltenham to Bournemouth- 93 miles each way, no motorway but about half of it was fast dual carriageway - got a steady 46mpg.

MPZ
Ford Mondeo 2.00 130bhp tdci saloon - Colin J
Anyone on the forum know where i can get a good deal on a Ford Mondeo Saloon

Question added to an existing post by the same poster

Edited by Pugugly on 08/12/2008 at 19:06

Ford Mondeo 2.00 130bhp tdci saloon - GingerTom
Bought my March 06 2.2 GhiaX in March 07 from Motorhouse2000 with 11k on the clock for way under list. Car was mint.

Now has 26k on the clock and only problem has been the EGR which is common on these. Replaced under warranty.

Front tyres are good for 20k if driven sensibly and the rears a lot longer.

Average 43mpg on the commute and up to 60 on the motorway at a steady 70. I add MillersSport4 to each tank and only use brand fuels like Shell, BP etc.

Engine could be more flexible and you will do a lot of gear changing with the 6 speed box but the 1st and 2nd gears are torque restricted which is a pain but it gets going once into 3rd. You can be in 6th by 50mph.

Bags of room, lots of toys and decent performance/economy for the money.

Edited by GingerTom on 15/12/2008 at 20:52