What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
05 1.6 diesel > hesitation problem - mustangman
My 1.6 tdci Focus has had this problem from new, nearly 4 years ago.

The hesitation occurs at around 1800 rpm when on a small throttle opening, perhaps just after changing gear. When under warranty the dealership tried replacing the egr valve and various software updates.

The thing is I've noticed that the problem is distinctly worse during cold weather, such that it's not apparant during most of the year, but as the temperature gets to around freezing it's back again. It's the same with the engine cold or fully warmed up.

I'm wondering if this could acutally be something simple like the ambient air sensor, being "wrong" at the cold end. I'm thinking I could buy and try.
I'm reluctant to let the dealership at it because it will probably cost a lot and not fix it.

Any thoughts ?

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 01/12/2008 at 13:39

05 1.6 diesel > hesitation problem - peanut
Fiesta 1.6 TDCi: exactly the same. Gentle throttle in some circumstances, and it hesitates - I wonder if it is going to cut out. Big welly of throttle, and it goes away.

Peanut
Just so! Is it the same. Ie: When air is cold, engine can be fully warmed up and it's just the same ?
05 1.6 diesel > hesitation problem - MikeTorque
Same problem with mine, it's to do with a fueling issue and peak torque around the same revs hindering the problem, it's like turbo lag. Using the best diesel fuel helps reduce the problem, I'm not sure if Ford has eliminated the problem with their latest 1.6TDCi engine.
Seems like they perhaps havn't.

I got no help at the time with Ford customer service, who simply said "refer to dealer"
Dealer updated ECU software more in hope than anything.
As per Murphy's law, I could never get the car to do it with an "engineer" in the car. Typical !
05 1.6 diesel > hesitation problem - MV
My C-Max had the same problem when I got it, and I reported it to the dealer while it was under warranty. I was told by the service manager that it was a well known issue, and a software update was applied which considerably reduced the hesitation that you describe, although did not resolve it completely. The next time that it went for a service (still under warranty!) I reported it again, and the dealer did some 'calibration' using the dealer's laptop which solved the problem completely. My 1.6 TDCI now runs OK, and the hesitation is gone. It has not returned in 2 more years and 55,000 miles.

No parts were replaced, and the way in which my dealer dealt with it suggested that it was a pretty common problem that was fairly easy to resolve. Perhaps it would be worth mentioning it at service time (should you keep up the main dealer service) and they might not charge too much for dealing with the problem?
Thanks for that MV. I'll give the dealer a try on this.
Was your problem worse with cold weather? This seems to be the case with my car, (unless it's dogey fuel from Tesco.)
05 1.6 diesel > hesitation problem - TVman
I had this problem on my new Transit Connect 1.8 TDCi. It went back to the dealer and the ECU was reprogrammed but this did not cure it. I had the engine "chipped" by one of the reputable companies and now not only is it faster, but it uses less fuel and the hesitation is gone. However it cost £400.
05 1.6 diesel > hesitation problem - alanfp

Try disconnecting the Mass Air Flow sensor (just downstream of the air filter, upstream of the turbo). Just pull the plug out.

If it cures it, you can either leave it disconnected or replace it, but it will soon get contaminated by oil from the breather pipe. Another interim solution is to clean it carefully with something like white spirit.