What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
1998 1.25 Big end or Camshaft Problem... - Decoherence
Hi

Hope someone can help.

Recently, my Fiesta 1.25 (zetec) broke down, and now the engine fails to turn over. Before the break down and for the last couple of weeks, the engine was making a knocking noise. The knocking would dissappear when I accelerated and when idling, the engine would sound gritty.

I have two questions, do you think its the big end bearings or maybe the camshaft?

If it is the big end bearings, can I change them with the engine still in the car? or do I have to take the engine out?

Thanks in advance

Dan
1998 1.25 Big end or Camshaft Problem... - Screwloose
Dan

Big ends don't fail on their own. Was the oil low or left in there too long?

If the big ends have siezed, then there's nothing that can be done on that engine. New unit only.
1998 1.25 Big end or Camshaft Problem... - topbloke
i would expect the noise to get worse when under load so unlikely to be big ends, but who knows anything could have happened, cambelt pully collapsed, belt jumped, valves hitting pistons, break valve and lock up, its worth a bit of investigation but i dont think that there are a lot of parts available for this engine so it would be a new one or sechond hand but still worth a look at first to understand whats happened