What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Now the salt lays round about deep & crisp & even - oilrag
You pull your shades down over your eyes at the glare. Vultures fly overhead and dogs walk on their hands to avoid cracked paws...

Crunch crunch, sparkle -sparkle. The white glare can be seen in the pale early winter light from outer space and orbiting satellites look down on a sheen radiating out from the epicentres, along the roads - fading over hundreds of meters, like the trail of sun scorched sea cucumbers..

Now at a drive in, out of town shopping centre near you.....

Remember the `good old days` of forty years or so ago. The yellow flash of Council gritters? Vast fleets on the road - salt scattered in bulk at speed - as though bombing the continent a couple of decades earlier. A hint of frost? A thousand gritter lorry raid.

Top speed, chunks of salt like bullets, whole piles of it in the gutter on bends as though waiting to accommodate a load of Cod. Salt flung out so hard, it`s up your drive and waiting to come in.

Now back to modern times... no salt on the road. (good no corrosion) but the local shopping centre car park gleams like a salt lake..

You just know, that even next May, with your car clean of salt, the salt lake will persist, even to the point of causing flamingo`s to pause in mid flight for a nest site assessment...

Edited by Pugugly on 31/10/2008 at 17:25

Now the salt lays round about deep and crisp and e - midlifecrisis
Plenty of it on the m/way. Rots my boots like a good 'un. Soles generally fall off by february.
Now the salt lays round about deep and crisp and e - cheddar
>>but the local shopping centre car park gleams like a salt lake..>>

Its the blame culture society, say someone slipped on some ice by the ticket machine, no salt, Old Bailey here we come.
Now the salt lays round about deep and crisp and e - gmac
Its the blame culture society say someone slipped on some ice by the ticket machine
no salt Old Bailey here we come.

Is this true ?
When I lived in Sheffield I used to frequent a pub which had a very steep car park. The landlord was advised by the council not to grit it because if he did and someone then had an accident he would be held responsible. If he did nothing it was down to the individual to exercise due caution. Strange logic to me but if that is what he was advised then...
Now the salt lays round about deep and crisp and e - L'escargot
Plenty of it on the m/way. Rots my boots like a good 'un.

I'm guessing from that that your job entails walking on motorways.
Now the salt lays round about deep and crisp and e - grumpyscot
Saturday morning in East Lothian, gritters were out at 8am - temperature was 6C and climbing! No overnight frost. Obviously the gritter drivers need the overtime..........
Now the salt lays round about deep and crisp and e - mike hannon
Lots of salt on the B3157 coast road in Dorset last week - this route is now to be avoided anyway thanks to mega re-surfacing work which looks to me like a County Council underhand traffic calming measure.
Luckily there was so much rain on the 500 miles home the underside of the Prelude got a thorough wash - I'll just make sure I do the wheelarch lips this week.
Now the salt lays round about deep and crisp and e - Snakey
How is it decided when and where to grit these days? Obviously the weather forecast plays a part, but is there a formula to what roads to grit and at what predicted temparature?

Now the salt lays round about deep and crisp and e - mss1tw
is there a formula to what roads to grit and at what predicted temparature?

Pack of darts and a map!
Now the salt lays round about deep and crisp and e - midlifecrisis
>> Plenty of it on the m/way. Rots my boots like a good 'un.
I'm guessing from that that your job entails walking on motorways.

Only when I haven't got a member of my shift to point at and tell them to do it :)

(And I occasionally drop my doughnut and it rolls off down the hard shoulder. Why aren't they square?)