What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
1999 1.8 Focus speedo problems - fixed? - Yorkbird
Hi All,

I have a 1.8 T Ford Focus. I have been reading the forums and my Focus has what seems to be quite a common problem:
* Speedo drops to zero, car loses some power, speedo springs back into life and car resumes its power
* Car radio volume seems to reduce when speedo drops
* When speedo is on 0 and I slow down power dies completely
I have read this on so many posts this morning. What I want to know is, for the people who have had this problem, has it been resolved by a new sensor being fitted? I have been quoted £77 fitting approx by a local mechanic, is this about right?

Your views much appreciated, thanks, Caroline

{T reg:- so that'll be 1999 then? - DD}

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 30/10/2008 at 12:26

1999 1.8 Focus speedo problems - fixed? - Screwloose
Caroline

That's a good place to start and fixes most of them. The dashpods are also known to fail and Ford has a discount deal on those now - if needed.

It's fairly easy to check if the speed sensor in the gearbox is working - before embarking on the nightmare of shifting a rusty one.
1999 1.8 Focus speedo problems - fixed? - Yorkbird
Thanks for that, how easy is it to check? Car stuff is over my head!! Is that something that the mechanic might have done when I told him what was happening with the car before he gave me the quote? I am just hoping that when I shell out the money the problem will be fixed, I daren't take it any further afield than the York where I live, just incase something happens on the motorway... I can't believe how many people seem to have had this problem,and they reckon Focus is a good car? Mine doesn't seem to have much clout for a 1.8!!
1999 1.8 Focus speedo problems - fixed? - Screwloose
The Focus has cost me a fortune. I used to rely on Ford for around a third of my work - nice to work on and the parts were easily-accessible and cheap.

Then they brought the flippin' Focus out - and.... nothing! Never see one; [apart from this issue] never make a brass farthing out of them!

The output signal is easy to check; there should be a flashing test light [10v - 0v alternating] on the blue/white when the wheel slowly rotates - plug connected, engine running.

A new VSS fixes over 80% of this fault.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 31/10/2008 at 18:12